Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: refinishing sewing machine cabinets

Glenn thanks for saying the Howards will evaporate. The friend that told me to use it never said anything about that. I wonder how long it takes. Well if it does it will give whoever gets my desk when I am gone a chance to refinish it properly. :-)

Thanks Glenn. Bookmarked this for later reference.

OMG - thanks

Thanks! I'm getting a treadle tomorrow from my new friend, Jan, and it needs to be worked on. I appreciate the heads up in how to start.

Thanks for all this info, Glenn. I just bought a model 128 with bentwood case. It's missing the veneer on one end. The whole case is quite dry with flaking shellac. Can I use the same procedure on it, or do you recommend something different?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
    Thanks for all this info, Glenn. I just bought a model 128 with bentwood case. It's missing the veneer on one end. The whole case is quite dry with flaking shellac. Can I use the same procedure on it, or do you recommend something different?
    Sorry I did not get back to you sooner but wife had to go to hospital. Yes you can use the same technique and you can piece new veneer where missing. If not to bad you do not have to refinish the whole. If it is oak you can get veneer from Lowes. If you want post pics and I will tell what needs to be done. Glenn

Glenn, I hope your wife is doing better. I set the case aside for a while - ran out of money for resto. I've done some wood work, but never applied veneer. I may PM you when I get ready to do it. Shirley

I have a 4 drawer treadle cabinet that needs all of this...
    A dear little machine in it I paid $40 for it. I will print this info and try to get to it this summer. Thank-you

Glen, thanks for the tut. Your finish is more authentic and not as 'plastic' looking as some finishes today can be. My dad used to use this method for the projects he made and all have held up well for many years. I am thinking of redoing the cabinet my mothers machine is in because of all the scratches and wear spots. We shall see.

Glenn, I private messaged you about two problems but I sure have gotten a lot of good ideas about how to start. I really appreciate your help. I think there will be a number of us that will be doing some refinishing. Not right now tho because it is raining cats and dogs and nothing would dry in this weather. Thanks! :thumbup: Jan

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast