I saw a kenmore 158 at the curb this week so I brought it home. The handwheel would not turn much. So I did as I've read to do on this board so many times.
I opened it up and began to clean it up. I found lint in the bobbin case and thread wrapped around the handwheel. I cleaned all that and then began to oil it with Tri Flo. It was dry as dust in there! I put it in the garage and when I'd walk past it, I'd jiggle the handwheel a bit. I gave it a bit of oil every day. Every day the handwheel moved more. Last night it seemed to be moving freely.
Today I brought the machine in, reassembled it and plugged it in! Works fine! I am quite proud of this. I know many of you experts have saved machines in way worse shape but this is good for me, a beginner. I don't need any more machines so I'll give it away. Thanks for all the instruction fellow sewists! I have taken your lessons to heart.