Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Saved a machine - thanks to this board!!

Saved a machine - thanks to this board!!

I saw a kenmore 158 at the curb this week so I brought it home. The handwheel would not turn much. So I did as I've read to do on this board so many times.

I opened it up and began to clean it up. I found lint in the bobbin case and thread wrapped around the handwheel. I cleaned all that and then began to oil it with Tri Flo. It was dry as dust in there! I put it in the garage and when I'd walk past it, I'd jiggle the handwheel a bit. I gave it a bit of oil every day. Every day the handwheel moved more. Last night it seemed to be moving freely.

Today I brought the machine in, reassembled it and plugged it in! Works fine! I am quite proud of this. I know many of you experts have saved machines in way worse shape but this is good for me, a beginner. I don't need any more machines so I'll give it away. Thanks for all the instruction fellow sewists! I have taken your lessons to heart.

Name:  158.2.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  157.0 KB

Power Poster
    ​Cute little machine and well done saving her!

Nice job! I'm sure whoever receives your generous gift will be thrilled.

It's darned good work for a beginner. That's how I started and how many of us started. It feels good doesn't it?
    Christy
    I don't sell stuff.

Great job!
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

good job!!

Great job! Don't you love the simple fixes?
    I haven't found a machine at the curb but I've been given a couple of "non working" machines. In both cases it turned out to be something simple. The last one turned out to be one wire disconnected in the controller.

Cari

[QUOTE=KenmoreGal2;7260523]I saw a kenmore 158 at the curb this week so I brought it home. The handwheel would not turn much. So I did as I've read to do on this board so many times.[/QUOT

Is that a model 1316, 5 built-in stitches, 1 amp., all metal machine that you have resuscitated? I hope the new owner will appreciate what they are getting. These are perfect for passing on to someone who really wants to sew. Good for you!

Congratulations! That's a victory! The prime thing, I've been told, is "Don't you ever give up!"

I believe it!

Jeanette

Blog Entries
    It feels good to win one. My first rescue was a curbside 401G - it was covered in garbage - doggiedoodoo, grass, etc. The table was trashed. That ugly machine was not turning and the stitch selectors were frozen & motor growled, wires missing. tension buggared. I worked and worked on it. I think I used WD40, Liquid Wrench and 3in1 oil. It was a disaster. The 3in1 oil set up like concrete and I had to redo all that. The LW wasn't so cool on the finish and I think leaves a residue. The WD40 did nothing to help the situation and gassed me.. After that I went over it with Kerosene - it was slow go with that. I think I finally got it moving except for the cam stack. I kept oiling it and it would move one day but not the next. I think it took me about a year to get it right. I intimately knew that machine after a while thanks to a repair manual. I think when I discovered Tri-Flow was when I got that stitch selector correct finally. I acquired other machines like it and learned quite a bit along the way. I doubt if I would have tackled that 401G if I hadn't done other repairs on 'working' machines. I'm thinking you might need a challenge next. Keep picking the trash!!!
    Last edited by miriam; 07-19-2015 at 02:22 AM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast