Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Score!!  Found a 401A at the thrift for $10.00 >

Score!! Found a 401A at the thrift for $10.00

Score!! Found a 401A at the thrift for $10.00

Old 06-18-2014, 02:24 AM
Power Poster

The disks go to an older Kenmore 158 and it will have some decimal number after that. like 50 or 90 or something. The Kenmores I had that took those disks were keepers for sure. Very high quality but a bit quirky to work.

Usually when I find a Singer 401 it will have frozen up areas. Those machines usually need a lot of service time.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:10 AM

SCORE, is right!!!
That is a great machine...I have my Mom's and learned to sew on it.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 AM

Sweet!! I tried to post my find past Sunday of what I found at flea market. An 401a with case and cams, lots feet, screwdriver, brush,etc for $20.
Not a scratch on it! Had to work on it as it was kinda locked up but with Finch help and video, got it running beautifully!
Some kid was playing with it and messed it up before seller could get to it so I was able to save 40 bucks... Whoo. I'm glad u found one,,,let us know of your experience with yours please!

Last edited by nwm50; 06-18-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 06-19-2014, 04:44 AM

WOW I have 2 of them both work and have their accessories, have the manual for both.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 PM

Wow, nwm50 You totally got some goodies! Way to go!!!

@
miriam My machine inside was pretty clean. From what i can tell it was a cabinet machine because most of the dirt was on the back of the machine. That and the hinges were still attached to it. LOL The pattern selector moved pretty freely up and down both posts. The only problem i have is with the tension. It has little bald head syndrome.

When I stitch the little bald heads pop up from the bottom thread even when the tension is set as far as it could go. I removed the tension module, cleaned the pin so it didn't stick to the inside of the screw. Cleaned the inside of the screw with soap and water using a pipe cleaner. Then made sure the pin could slide easily in and out. After that I washed the tension disks and all the rest of the module including both springs.

I then followed the thread guides looking for any burrs. I found one on the top guide so i sanded that down smooth with a super fine grit paper.

Still I see the little bald heads peeking up. So I have a question do the discs jiggle loosely when the foot is raised? Because for some reason mine are relatively tight and maybe move just a tiny bit.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Power Poster

Tammi's video might help you with that upper tension:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFX...AyBQ2l-Mzkw7ew
With those machines comes other adjustments. There is also the bobbin tension - disassemble that, clean and set the tension. There is also that spring that holds the bobbin case in place. It has to be the right adjustment, too. You will need to look up a service manual for that and set it with feeler gauges.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:00 AM

feeler gauges? ah... it's a fiddly machine. Gotcha. lol BTW can anyone who is a member of the Vintage Singer Yahoo group look up instructions on how to relubricate the sealed ball bearing at the top of the motor shaft? For some reason that Captcha is not accepting any thing I type. My motor is a little more growly than the rest of the ones I see on Youtube, the Sew Classic blog mentioned this so i figured I'd check it out. Thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I have one I bought at a Thrift store. I paid 50 dollars. It is in a beautiful cabinet and has a lot of accessories with it.. I love that machine..Congrats..Great find....
Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
feeler gauges? ah... it's a fiddly machine. Gotcha. lol BTW can anyone who is a member of the Vintage Singer Yahoo group look up instructions on how to relubricate the sealed ball bearing at the top of the motor shaft? For some reason that Captcha is not accepting any thing I type. My motor is a little more growly than the rest of the ones I see on Youtube, the Sew Classic blog mentioned this so i figured I'd check it out. Thanks
One of the gals here, ArcaicArcane, Mizkaki, or MacyBaby, told me to put a drop of 30 WT motor oil on top of the top shaft seal, then run the machine. The oil will seep in an soften the old grease in the top bearing. That's it. If that don't work you'll need to replace the bearing.
Also cleaning and greasing the hand wheel gear and the drive gear will help quiet it down too.

Don't put too much stock on videos for the sound quality of machines, the videos can distort things at times.

Joe
Old 06-20-2014, 09:45 AM

Thanks @mjhaess

Singer 401 Service manual. It's free. I thought I'd share http://sewingdude.wordpress.com/2012...ervice-manual/