Latest Acquisition

Old 06-29-2014, 11:28 AM

Default Latest Acquisition

I've mentioned a couple times a friend was giving me an old treadle machine. We're both members of OWWM, a forum dedicated to old woodworking machines. He had a get-together for OWWM members at his mill yesterday. I was unable to attend but another member was kind enough to bring the machine up from Oregon for me last night on his way home.
Yeah, I know get to the point already.
Anyway what I received was a Singer model 15 serial# C1342611 in a three drawer treadle cabinet.
ISMACS indicates the "C" serial number machines were made in Germany and apparently the records were lost or destroyed when the Russians invaded in 1945.
I'm not sure if it will help date the machine but the stand has a metal pitman arm.
Does anyone have better info for me?
Here's some picks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480893[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480894[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480895[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480896[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480897[/ATTACH]
It came with a few extras including some mouse poop in the center drawer. In the upper left of the last pic there are two devices that look like thread guides to me, I'm not sure how they would have been used. Next to them are a small hemmer and another foot that looks sort of like a hemmer but I don't think it is.
The machine does have it's bobbin case.
The stand is in great shape, it will clean up very nicely with only minimal work and it still has the key!
The machine has some serious rust though and the japanning is flaking off around the serial number and base of the arm. It's also frozen solid. It is very complete though, the only things I see missing are the bobbin cover and a belt.
I didn't have an actual model 15 until now and I'm very happy to have it.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails singer-15-treadle-001.jpg   singer-15-treadle-002.jpg   singer-15-treadle-003.jpg   singer-15-treadle-004.jpg   singer-15-treadle-005.jpg  

Old 06-29-2014, 12:23 PM

I don't have any info on that machine. But it sure looks like a potential project for those cooooolllldddd winter nights.

Float that puppy in oil, let soak for a while and it will probably free up. If not then you've got a great imported door stop ....

Joe
Old 06-29-2014, 12:37 PM

the first picture doesn't look too bad. the close ups... oooohhweee you do have a project there. the wood cabinet looks good.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:04 PM

Congrats on your first actual 15! It's going to take a lot of work but sometimes that just makes you love them more!
Old 06-29-2014, 01:05 PM

The cabinet is great. Pretty close to zero lifted veneer and none missing. A lot of the original finish is intact too. It doesn't need much more than a good cleaning. I didn't ask where it was stored but I'm guessing an unheated outbuilding. I know my friend bought it with intentions to restore it himself. He has too many other projects on his plate though. That's why he gave it to me.
The machine is pretty rusty and right on the border of being a repaint candidate. Certainly no one would be too worked up about it if I did.
Right now I plan to salvage as much of the original finish as I can.
I'm going to have my work cut out for me cleaning up the rust but I think it'll be worth the effort.
Rodney
Old 06-29-2014, 02:55 PM

a little bit rusty. but knowing you, this will be an easy fix and the machine will definitely come out shiny and working.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

Is it a 115 or a 15? Take a peek at the bobbin. How much rust down there? I have two with decals like that - one is a 115 and one is a 15. I think they are both really nice machines. It is a chore to get the rust off but you can. I thought they were toast but they cleaned up anyway.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:08 AM

Rodney, how do you plan to remove the rust on the face plate?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 AM

I would love it, except for the rust. Good luck, and keep us posted as you piddle your way through it. I do love the cabinet.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 AM

I flipped it over, it's a 15. IIRC the bobbin case and hook assembly (proper terms?) is much smaller on the 115. The unpainted parts will see evaporust followed by a wire wheel and possibly polishing after. I'm not sure if the faceplate can be saved. The rust is really severe on the thread guide above the tension. I'm afraid there won't be anything left of it when the rust is gone. The back inspection plate is severely rusty too. Flaky rust is never a good sign.
I need to finish restoring the 27 that Kathyluvstoquilt here on the forum gave me and my daughter's Singer 99 before I start on this one so it's going to be a while.

I have a question: What is the proper diameter treadle belt for these machines? I see 3/16" and 5/16" belts for sale.
Or is it one of those things where I'm not likely to notice the difference?
I need them for both the 27 and the 15.
Thanks,
Rodney