Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Service zigzag adjustment on a Elna Supermatic >

Service zigzag adjustment on a Elna Supermatic

Service zigzag adjustment on a Elna Supermatic

Old 09-20-2015, 01:08 PM

Default Service zigzag adjustment on a Elna Supermatic

Hi

I am new on the board and have noticed there are lots of expert people fixing up their old machines here. I have bought an old Elna Supermatic which needs a bit of attention. I assume the infamous rubber pulley needs replacement, and I shall have to order one some where.

Has anyone adjustet the zigzag under the cam lid on top of the machine? There are two screws there that needs loosening. The trick is apparently to observe the round metal part to the right on the needle bar. When you have the zigzag cam (No 03) and sew full speed it is suppose to form an even curv. It's a kind of optical illusion of a curve in the air. If it flutters it needs attention. Mine does unfortunately

There are also a related ajustments on the hinged metal parts connected with the stitch length lever. Has anyone managed to sort out what this is all about?

Last edited by Mickey2; 09-20-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:47 PM

Welcome to the board. I don't have a clue about your Elna but used to sew on one for years. Just wanted to say hi and welcome.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:18 AM

Thanks sewbeadit, nice to meet you :- )

The model I have gets a mixed review from people who have had it. Those who actually bought a Supermatic brand new has to be in their 70s and 80s by now, and I suppose they need a bit of attention and fine tuing to work again. My machin runs and stitches. Has a few tension issues I so far haven't managed to sorted out. I hope I will though.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:35 PM

Not to take away from anyone here on this group. Suggest you join the HeirloomElna Yahoo group. Between the files, messages and online folks, you will have it up and running in no time. Active group!
Old 09-22-2015, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer View Post
... Suggest you join the HeirloomElna Yahoo group. Between the files, messages and online folks, you will have it up and running in no time. Active group!
Thanks Farmhousesewer, it took me a while but I found it and I am accepted! Its' nice to be in thouch with people who are very know everything about them, and want's to keep them going.