SEWMOR 404 Case Repair and recover
When our SEWMOR 404 arrived I was totally bummed by the condition it and itís case was in. The GW text said the case was cracked and so I expected it to need repair. But I didnít expect it to arrive literally in pieces.
It didnít take too long to do the actual repair of the case. This one was complete and just needed new glue and some more nails. But it sat on my table for quite a while until I had some ambition and initiative strike me out of the blue.
I decided that this box was going to be different. The box from Caroline was black on the bottom with an off white saddle, so I recovered the bottom black.
My HOTHER box was always black so I made it black. Originally it had two cord trims around the top, one on each side of the handle. I didnít put them in as it was a lot of work and I didnít have a tool to compress the cord and fabric into the groves in the wood.
I decided to put the single cord trim in the SEWMOR case. I had to improvise the tool and it didnít turn out as good as I wanted. But it looks OK I guess.
I also chose a different color scheme for the case. It was originally covered with paper having a brown alligator print. So I chose to recover it with a black bottom, and black on the ends of the top with a maroon red saddle. This was the hardest box to cover for some reason. It fought us from the start.
But we got it done and now here it is:
Oh, but after getting the fabric glued to the top I was going to put the cord on when I caught Fiona red pawed stealing it.
I guess she thought it was a fun toy because she played with it for quite a bit.
Here is my SEWMOR back in her case:
Unfortunately the camera flash makes the maroon look red and the black look grey. The color is really maroon and black.
Now thereís one more part.
Here is the original metal case latch.
Notice the chip in the paint on the edge of the machine. That was done by the metal latch. I donít particularly like that so I replaced it with another window screen latch.
This one is a bit smaller than the one I told you about in my other thread.
I found a source of these at ACE Hardware. Many different sizes in both plastic and metal. This plastic one was just the right size without any cutting so I bought it.
Actually the truth is, I was going to buy the metal one, but my wife said, no I want the plastic one. Sigh ÖÖÖÖÖ It works is all I can say.
For the time being Iím done with cases. Now to finish my treadle cabinet.