Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Shall I try and get this machine? >

Shall I try and get this machine?

Shall I try and get this machine?

Old 12-04-2014, 04:28 PM

Here are photos after the repair. I circled what I'm talking about because I know my terminology is lacking. On the A-J knob of this machine (as well as the earlier 401a example) the finger rests in a slot on the collar. As you can see the finger is now above the collar which is stuck on the bottom. I assume this isn't normal.
Attached Thumbnails afterrepair.jpg   afterrepair2.jpg  
Old 12-04-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mywncmtns View Post
Thanks everyone, I ended up taking it in for service. He fixed it and declared it to be running well. (Husband is putting it back in the cabinet for me now.) I also learned that I have a 401g not a 401a. I had never heard of the 401g so when I saw 401 on the manual, I assumed I had the 401a. Now I'm reading a helpful post started by Miriam about the 401g.
Oooh! One of the German machines! They sound better and seem to run better to me for some reason.

Well I could just cry - $90 later and the stitch selector for A-J has some movement (so yay!) but when I opened it up, that finger STILL isn't in the collar slot for the K-S side. The finger is now resting on top of the collar and goes into notches above the collar. So I can't move the knob past O. I still suspect there is gunk below the K-S collar and the collar sticks in it, and refuses to travel up the shaft.

Kicking myself for not moving the knobs in the store. Just took his word for it. (He had stitch examples he had done with the machine.) It will be a two-hour round trip, but at least I expect he will stand besides his work.
I'm going to take a good photo of what it's supposed to look like so you can take it in to the guy. If he's still open, call him right away to tell him it's coming and why. I'm also going to see if there's an "easy" way to disassemble and reassemble for you.

Here are photos after the repair. I circled what I'm talking about because I know my terminology is lacking. On the A-J knob of this machine (as well as the earlier 401a example) the finger rests in a slot on the collar. As you can see the finger is now above the collar which is stuck on the bottom. I assume this isn't normal.
No, it's not normal, and I'm not sure how he did it. Let me check.

ETA: OK, I Know how to fix it, and what he likely did. I could talk you through it, but I don't know if I can write it.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 12-04-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Oooh! One of the German machines! They sound better and seem to run better to me for some reason.

I'm going to take a good photo of what it's supposed to look like so you can take it in to the guy. If he's still open, call him right away to tell him it's coming and why. I'm also going to see if there's an "easy" way to disassemble and reassemble for you.

No, it's not normal, and I'm not sure how he did it. Let me check.
Tammi, THANK YOU so much!! I hope to one day know enough to contribute something back to this board, but for now please know I appreciate it.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:52 PM

Also, I've been up since 3 am with work so I'm a little fuzzy - but I thought I opened the machine at the shop after the repair and saw that the finger was in the slot. Maybe I didn't. I left the screws at home because I had the top open and was afraid I would lose them. He had packing tape to hold the top on the machine, and I can't remember lifting the tape so maybe I didn't check. (No point to all of this, just trying to recount and hoping he did repair and it jumped out again.)

Last edited by Mywncmtns; 12-04-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-04-2014, 06:40 PM

Ok, take 2. This is what you need to take to the repair guy. [ATTACH=CONFIG]501228[/ATTACH]

So sorry Joe, I can't resize on an Apple product.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

I resize on my Mac. I googled a free site. I'm loving how this thread is going. My 401 still works fine after all of everyone's help and encouragement. I have a free motion foot for it and did do a little test stitching. It was fine but I haven't gotten back to trying something bigger than a mug rug.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Alyce, you're right - I should have been more specific - it's the iPad I can't figure out how to resize on.

I'm glad to hear you're liking that machine! It was worth the work I think. I also love seeing that you're able to FMQ on it. Most people look at me like a 4 headed alien when I say I can do it too.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:56 AM
Power Poster

I've had those apart, too. It is getting them back together that is 'fun' you need another one there so look at... Getting that screw loose and out can be a trick. I'm sorry your repair guy didn't know what he was doing. Likely he's never seen one. I have a 401 with a bent shaft. I took the whole thing apart tried to straighten that shaft and put it back since I didn't have a donor at the time. It is still around and still bent and not working.. but it doesn't look as bent... It's sitting on a shelf in shame... Look to be sure the shaft isn't bent before you go any farther... I'm also thinking you might want to see if you can find an adjuster's manual and read it. I now have another machine that is a donor I just haven't worked up the courage to take it down another time. There are a lot of parts and they have to go back just right. I was attempting to use a Singer 500 as the donor I did get the 500 back together just fine and it moves just fine but it was the donor and the donation didn't fit.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:57 PM

Since Miriam's added this thread to a "best of" list, I thought I'd follow up on the problem that Mywncmtns was having with the stitch selectors.

This will take care of it. (Youtube video) It took me one or two tries to get the adjustment loose enough but it's less than a 5 minute fix, even babbling to explain what I'm doing.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 PM

You are amazing, Tammi!