Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Singer 12, trouble with setting needle :-( >
  • Singer 12, trouble with setting needle :-(

• Singer 12, trouble with setting needle :-(

Old 03-14-2015, 08:15 PM

Well, haha -- I can't claim any special knowledge -- someone kindly posted a paragraph about setting the needle which instructed groove facing you/me/front of machine! I guess we can see how this gets more and more confusing.

The update is that the clamp WAS installed correctly. In a fit of desperation, I tilted the machine back so I could get a look at the lower end of the needle bar. Still the needle would not fit between the bar and the clamp.

Then I removed the screw from the clamp. Laid the needle against the bar. Tried to apply the clamp from the back. It would not go.

THEN I laid the needle against the bar and tried sliding the clamp from the bottom UP. That seemed to work, although I don't feel like the back of the clamp is snugly against the bar. I also don't feel/think that the needle is securely in that little corner spot in the clamp.

The needle does go properly into the hole in the feed dog plate (that hole has a few little dings in it, someone else besides me has had problems). However, the first time I got the needle secured and tested by cranking a bit, the needle sort of popped out and came loose.

I've gone through the same process again and have it secured again, and this time made sure to get the clamp screwed very tight. It's threaded, but the thread is not looping up the bobbin thread. Checking the shuttle I can see the bobbin thread has come out of the spring on the side of the shuttle.

OK, time to let it rest a little and think about how obstinate it's being.

I would mention though, that the machine came with a much longer needle that was slim for its entire length, no rounded, thicker area at the top. I can see where a slimmer top would allow the needle to fit more securely inside the clamp. Maybe a previous owner has encountered this same problem with this machine?

More tomorrow -- thank you everyone for talking me through this frustration!
    Old 03-14-2015, 08:25 PM

Very true, three pictures must be worth 3000 words. How many words have I written today without pictures? Steve H, that line on the needle bar is VERY FAINT. I've looked at mine and if there is a line there, it is nearly worn away. But I was observing it when I put the needle in last time. I think setting-wise it's very close to correct. The needle goes in and out without hitting anything. Oh, I'm going to make this work if it kills me. Must be time for wine!

Oh, and just to be fair I'll post my own 3000 words. If I can figure out how to do it. If machinery that is 140 years old can wrestle me down to a draw, what hope do I have with modern technology?
    Old 03-14-2015, 08:37 PM

Here is a view looking down on the needle clamp. See how the needle does not seem secure in a groove, or that little corner of the clamp?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]513647[/ATTACH]

Here is a view from the front of the machine. Am I supposed to see the needle inside the clamp this clearly? It seems like the clamp should *enclose* it more.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]513648[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 20150314_173319.jpg   20150314_173243.jpg  
    Old 03-14-2015, 08:41 PM

I'm sorry these are so huge. They were much smaller before I uploaded them!
    I guess there are only 2000 words because the third one won't upload.

Thanks everyone -- I hope no one is on dialup
    Old 03-15-2015, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ellpea
    Here is a view from the front of the machine. Am I supposed to see the needle inside the clamp this clearly? It seems like the clamp should *enclose* it more.
    Yes it really does. It looks like the needle clamp needs to be turned a little (might have a groove for the needle) or sit into the one in the needle bar. Still, it's going through the hole.
    The clamp couldn't be in backwards could it? Looks like there's a groove already there. Wish I had mine here to check.
    Old 03-15-2015, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike
    It looks like the needle clamp needs to be turned a little (might have a groove for the needle) or sit into the one in the needle bar. Still, it's going through the hole.
    The clamp couldn't be in backwards could it? Looks like there's a groove already there. Wish I had mine here to check.
    MMike, I wish you had yours there too! Believe me, I've tried this clamp in every direction. But the design is such that the screw only goes in on the right side of the needle bar, and if the clamp is turned around or upside down, the screw doesn't match up at all. This is absolutely as close as it will go, and it was a struggle getting it this close.

In a minute I'll send a photo of the new needle compared to the needle that was in the machine. It doesn't seem *safe* for this little machine to sew with a needle as insecure as this one seems to be. I wonder if I can find more of this slimmer one -- for some reason this unusual size might be more appropriate for this one machine?
    Old 03-15-2015, 11:51 AM

Here's another update. A friend from the East coast (US) looked at the picture and said the needle looks like a modern DBx1, and is fatter than what she uses on hers. This is a DBx1 -- but was advertised as needles for the Singer 12. I thought I'd found a treasure trove. Caveat Emptor.

Here is a photo of the original and the new side by side. Guess which is the one I'm having trouble setting.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]513717[/ATTACH]

So, which needle looks correct to you other Singer 12ers out there? And if it's the skinny one and you have a source, would you let me know! Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails needles.jpg  
    Old 03-15-2015, 12:10 PM

I use 12X1 or Boye #23 I buy off ebay. I have been told the DBx1 sold by organ is a thinner needle than the Beckert. I also find them in antique stores. I have one machine that will take the DBx1 by Beckert. I have not tried the organ brand yet but will if I need needles for my two 12's. It is just sad they don't make the 12x1 needle anymore. I guess I need to start testing out needles.
    Skip
    Old 03-15-2015, 12:31 PM

I found these on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Singer-12-...item4ae61e7fc8

They *look* like the right ones. Sigh. I think I'll go back to restoring that bentwood case for a while (using Glenn's mixture, of course!)
    Old 03-15-2015, 01:06 PM
    Banned

sorry, again, G&B'ing...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513738[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails clipboard01.jpg