Singer 128 electric

Old 07-25-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by diamondee View Post
​Great looking machine! versatile too. It can be a hand-crank or treadle. decals are great! BUT I have to ask what the tool is? looks almost like a knee lift/pressure foot lift
Yes, SteveH is right - it's the knee lever. I thought it was missing at first, but found it inside the case cover. To use it, the machine will have to be pretty low and on a VERY stable table because it's so heavy. I feel like it's going to tip over the table it's on now if it's not in the center.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
That machine is a dandy. There are no modifications needed to put on a hand crank, even an after market one. Just remove bolt from motor boss and place crank on. The originality of it is kept and you have use as hand cranked. I've rewired a 128-23 exactly like that with cloth cord from a sundial. Four screws loosened, new wire attracted, screws tightened down voila! The phenolic connectors look exceptional, which is rare. They come apart by unscrewing the top cap. You'll see the obvious screws to loosen inside. The other screws you have to loosen are those on the plug usually covered by the card board (cereal box works well).
Thanks, Ron. So, are you saying that I can add the hand crank and also keep the electric wiring? Do I need to know anything about what size wire to order? Some of the wires look thicker than others. Sorry for all the questions, but I really know nothing about this. Wish my dad was still around - he was an electronic engineer and used to fix old TVs and radios for fun.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
This is the same machine that my DD has as a handcrank. Her machine is in about the same condition and those decals get a LOT of attention wherever she goes with it. Your's looks awesome!
Thank you! I was so happy when I got it home and opened the case. I had no idea what I was going to find!
Old 07-26-2014, 03:41 PM

Come to think of it, you will need to disconnect the motor wires so the motor doesn't just hang there. But again, two screws and the motor wiring is disconnected. There is no polarity, so orientation is unimportant when replacing the motor wiring. The power wires to the speed controller do not need removing to place the hand crank.

I like to use 16 gauge wire. Sometimes the original are 18 gauge but 16 is larger and I can think of no negatives using a heavier wire.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Hi All,
I have a 128 with a crinkle finish and I think I is black (something) where some of the chrome pieces are black. I don't see many of these. It is in pretty good shape. I think it has been rewired, and it sews nicely. There are chipped places on the bobbin cover. It is not perfect. I was thinking of selling it. Would it be considered very collectible?
Thanks,
Sherri
Old 08-03-2014, 05:56 PM

Replacing the aged power cord, is someting you CAN and SHOULD do. Don't compromise with safety by using electrical tape, it's not worth it. If the insulation is brittle, it can crack and short anywhere along it. The plug and connectors to your knee control are just 4 connections total, you don't need to take the motor apart. Get some nice fresh wire on there, and don't look back.