Singer 301A darning foot?

Old 10-14-2015, 04:52 PM

CD I forgot to say that your wife has a beautiful sewing room and that quilt is awesome, congratulations to her. Loved the pics you sent. She doesn't wear a helmet while quilting either!
Old 10-15-2015, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
CD I forgot to say that your wife has a beautiful sewing room and that quilt is awesome, congratulations to her.....
Thank you very much. I passed the compliments on to her.

Her sewing room is the entire house. We kicked the couch and coffee table out several years ago, and filled the dining/living room areas with her sewing machines, set up in a U-shape as pictured. We kept two recliners and the dining table. We didn’t “entertain” much before, and when we did, everyone usually ended up stuffed into a small back bedroom that used to be the sewing room.

Since the change, when we entertain now, folks just have to beat us to a recliner or set on a sewing machine stool. And, if they want a magazine to leaf through, they’ll have to settle for a sewing machine User Guide these days.....

We used to have a living room that was seldom used, and now we have a sewing room that we spend most of our time living in!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-15-2015, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
This issue is another reason I love using a knee lever instead of a foot controller. It's much easier to hold my leg still at a steady speed for any length of time than it is my foot. I have a cabinet for my Singers equipped with a knee lever and one for my Brothers or other Japanese machines.

Cari
The knee lever sounds handy! I wonder if I can find a vintage Singer desk/cabinet with knee lever on Craigslist. I will definitely start scouring the postings!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:11 AM

I like that, CD - I believe in living in my house the way I want to which is not necessarily how it was designed to be used. My living room is my sewing room and I have several sewing stations set up for different things.

The first time our house sitter came over, she looked around at that room and asked, "How many people work here?"
Old 10-15-2015, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by little_mama_D View Post
The knee lever sounds handy! I wonder if I can find a vintage Singer desk/cabinet with knee lever on Craigslist. I will definitely start scouring the postings!
I got a knee lever with my 15-90 I got from CL. However, the seller had no idea it was there (machine had been her mother's) amd therefor there was no mention in the ad. In fact, in the several months where I was checking CL daily, I don't remember ever seeing a DSM with that in the description. Seems most ofthe sellers are those who don't know the details of what they have (and often do not know what to take pictures of).
Old 10-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post

We kicked the couch and coffee table out several years ago
CD in Oklahoma
I'm laughing out loud at this because I've done the same thing, getting rid of furniture to make room for more sewing machines and cabinets. First to go was the dining room set. Now my dining room is full of cabinets, machines, and some three drawer storage containers full of fabric. next to go was the big living room chair and the end tables. More cabinets, machines and a big garage shelving unit for even more machines. Now, it was getting kind of crowded and I really wanted a sewing room so since I fall asleep on the couch watching TV most of the time any way I got rid of my bed and turned the master bedroom into my sewing room.

Cari
Old 10-15-2015, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by little_mama_D View Post
Sometimes you can see the lever hanging down under the cabinet but often it's folded up and you can't see it. I've gotten lucky with postings that say something like this, "needs a foot pedal" or " foot pedal is missing" because the seller doesn't know the controller is up under the cabinet in the bracket for the knee lever.

Cari
Old 05-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Question about feet. I have these two vintage ones for the slants. They have the same number on them and are both made in Great Britain. But you can see they are different and the one on the top works and the other one doesn't. That part that goes over the needle clamp is a different size.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550757[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg