Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 403a  That's what they get for leaving me home alone >

Singer 403a That's what they get for leaving me home alone

Singer 403a That's what they get for leaving me home alone

Old 06-27-2016, 09:51 PM

Default Singer 403a That's what they get for leaving me home alone

My whole family is away till the end of the week and today I found myself in a Goodwill store, discovered a "new" aisle which I thought held toys, but to my surprise, discovered it held sewing machines! Oh dear, and there was one of "those brown Singers" I wanted because it's like the one I used in home ec. 40 years ago. So I pull it down from the top shelf, and look it over. Well, I know enough to be dangerous but not much more than that, so for $25.20 I have myself a new toy of my own to play with, the 403a (not in a cabinet).

I do know that the power cord doesn't fit the machine so that's on my shopping list. I didn't try it at the store because of that, so it's a gamble, but like I said, when the cats away, the mice will play! So, after reading archives on this board, I realize I may need some cams, and I definitely need a needle (what kind do they use?). There IS a bobbin case and bobbin, so I'm good there. I may need some spool pins, but there's at least one.

I'm trying to come up with a name for it too; considering Cecilia as in "Cecilia, I'm down on my knees, I'm begging you please to come home" since I was down on the floor examining it at the store.

It's been over 100 degrees today so I've not even untaped the cords or parts box from the machine yet--just too hot. My burning (pardon the pun) question is very basic at this point: WHAT DO I USE TO CLEAN IT/WIPE IT DOWN JUST TO GET STARTED ON THE REFURBISHING? It's a dirty overall, and could use a bath. I've heard WD40 is not so good and wondered if Dawn dish soap would do the trick or if something else is preferred.

Thank you for any help you can send my way to enlighten me on this new addition to my herd. Can I say this is the last one? Would anyone believe me? --Carol
Old 06-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Power Poster

I have one too. Found it at a flea market a few years ago. They are great machines. I have always used machine oil to wipe down the dirty machine. At least you know it won't hurt the finish and you can wipe off any excess with a soft cloth.

Good luck finding the proper cord. They should be easy to find on Ebay. The cams, too. Lucky you!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:52 AM

Congrats! I also use a bit of sewing machine oil on a soft rag to wipe down a dirty machine. You gave me my first laugh of the day when you said this would be your last sewing machine...
Old 06-28-2016, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

One of the first things I would do is "Google" the manual for it. Usually free. Also check out the videos on You Tube for it. That will help you a whole lot. I would keep the manual in a binder. I have a manual for my 401 (it's little) but printed the more thorough one and put it in a binder along with the other manual. Have fun with it.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Even though they are not exactly the same machines you might find something useful in this:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t216956.html
Old 06-28-2016, 06:24 AM

403's are nice machines! I love the slant shank Singers. I have one of these, too.

Needles - good news! Standard sewing needles fit this machine.

It takes class 66 metal bobbins but beware - DON'T buy new metal bobbins at a place like Joann's - even Singer brand. New class 66 bobbins are pretty awful and many won't even fit or work in your machine (discovered that for myself the hard way!) Buy vintage ones from eBay if you can find them.

If you need new feet for the machine, make sure you're getting "slant shank" feet. They're somewhat unique but not really difficult to find.

The cams your machine uses are also very common! They're called "top hat" cams and the same cams that fit in your 403 also fit in most 500 and 600 series Singer machines, so they're pretty easy to find. Watch a few listings on eBay and you'll get a feel for what's a bargain. Your machine also has several built-in stitches, so depending on what you do you may not really "need" the cams anytime soon.

Sewing machine oil is great for cleaning the outside of the machine; baby wipes are also fine.

Definitely read over the manual and make sure you know where all the oil and lubrication goes! These old machines are tough but they still appreciate a little oil and grease in the right spots. Make sure you use oil designed for sewing machines, no 3-in-1 oil or WD40. The manual should walk you through what goes where, but post here if you get stuck.

If you need bits and pieces (including probably your missing cord), try Sew Classic. They carry a lot of the little bits and bobs you'll need for your machine.

Congrats! You have a very nice machine and you got it for a steal!
Old 06-28-2016, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I have one too. Found it at a flea market a few years ago. They are great machines. I have always used machine oil to wipe down the dirty machine. At least you know it won't hurt the finish and you can wipe off any excess with a soft cloth.

Good luck finding the proper cord. They should be easy to find on Ebay. The cams, too. Lucky you!
I would try sew-classic for the cord. She is reasonable in price and ships timely. I order a lot of my parts from her.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:50 AM

Thanks everyone, for the tips!

I have some sewing machine oil called Zoom Spout-"highest quality turbine all purpose lubricating oil" that I bought at a sewing machine shop in Woodland (this for Sewnoma since you're so close you might know of the place). I'll use this if people think it's ok stuff, otherwise brand recommendations are welcome.

I do like the baby wipe idea just for convenience (if it's safe for baby butts it's safe for sewing machines?) although since I have the oil already the wipes seem unnecessary.

OK, off to un-tape Cecilia before it gets any hotter around here. Is goo-gone safe for removing tape residue on the outside of the machine?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 AM

*** Congrats on the new machine.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:13 AM

Adding on: I just looked in the box of parts--a few bobbins, needles (yay), a button hole gauge, a 1/4" foot?, bobbin case--now I question why that's there as I discovered this is a drop-in bobbin not requiring the case; a clear plastic thing that looks like it fits over the feed dogs to allow FMQ, and a metal piece and a rubber piece I'm not sure what they're for or if they go together--I'll deal with that later. And the biggest surprise, the power cord that yesterday didn't fit when I tried to shove it in the hole, today FITS, so I have POWER! Now I gotta go plug her in after the cleaning job--you know how sometimes things are just so gross you have to clean them first....