Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer Genie 353

Northwestern Lower Michigan/Seminole, Florida

Singer Genie 353

Just bought a Singer Genie 353 at a church flea market as a machine to leave here when we go home. Any advise or comments? I am trying to avoid bringing a sewing machine with me each winter.

I have one & I love it! Be sure to take it for a tune-up at a Singer repair shop. Mine had been sitting in my mom's closet for a couple decades before she passed it on to me; the tune-up was well worth the cost. It has been a great little sewing machine. Wonderful for piecing. Does well with a walking foot. I just started FMQ, so I can't really speak to how it will do with that since my FMQ skills are very-beginner.

Also, be careful about buying parts for it online. I've been burned a couple of times. Now I bring a foot with me to the store/repair shop if I need a different foot & otherwise rely on a Singer-authorized reseller for any parts. I've also noticed on mine that sometimes the screw on the bobbin case starts to get a little lose... easy enough to tighten it with a flat head or a butter knife. Finally, I probably was just ignorant about sewing machines, but I learned recently that if the thread breaks (btw, tension for regular sewing is 4 - with a walking foot I put it at 2.5, for FMQ with Aurifil thread I set it at 1.5) to cut the thread up by the spool and pull it from the needle end if there's a jam. I have far fewer probs since I started doing that.

Enjoy your Genie!

Can you post some pics? IIRC they are an interesting design.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Margaret53,

I've looked at those Singer Genies quite a few times. They come up on GW often. Matter of fact there is one on there now: { http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-17305057.html }

They are typical 70s Singers that use standard low shank feet and Class 66 plastic bobbins. There's nothing really complex or exotic about them other than the shape of the body and the flowery decoration.

They'll have plastic gears inside so have them checked and if the machine has been used a lot, or not, be prepared for one of more of them to disintegrate on you.

One thing to be aware of about the presser feet and accessories, especially the walking foot, is that Singers ZZ presser foot shaft is machined different than other brands. It's thicker where the feet attach. Because of this some aftermarket feet and accessories, especially generic walking feet, won't fit properly and the needle won't line up centered like it needs to.
    If you want a walking foot for your machine I suggest getting a Singer Even Feed low shank unit. They will fit and function properly.

Joe
    I love the old iron and wood machines. They're solid and reliable.
    Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

This one is a 534, but they are basically the same.

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments

Blog Entries
    The little tiny tension is a PITB - there are plastic parts and stamped metal - goes with the era. They are light weight and when they work they sew ok.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

That was what I like about them. The integrated case. It's just a neat design to me.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Iíve got a Singer 353B Genie that still has a thread-breaking problem that I havenít got around to looking into yet. My wife took it to Quilting Class a couple of times and it acted up every time. It hasnít been high on my priority list to fix, but theyíre interesting little self-contained machines.

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

opps- mine is a 354 not 534 (transposed numbers). This is not as light as one might think either. Mine is also not high on the priority of getting services. I've bought machines way faster than DH has worked on them - especially since he's busy with other projects when it's not frozen outside.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments

The foot control, cord, book, and tools all fit up inside of the removable part in a little compartment that loads from beneath. Here's a photo of the removable part flipped over.

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/