Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Singer Stylist 457 Instruction Book-free???

Blog Entries
    I would not spray that stuff inside a sewing machine - use one drop on the part that moves and one drop on the next.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal.
    It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Bezzer,

I just found this thread. Several months ago I had to replace the top vertical shaft gear on two Singer 413s. Same exact gear as the Singer 457 that started this thread. I was told to set the gear so there is no play in the shaft after the new gear is installed. The thing is, if you get the gear too tight on the shaft, in other words zero end play, you will or can run into a tight feeling machine like you describe. I followed the instructions I was given and got the machine so tight the motor could hardly turn it. I realized there has to be some free play in that shaft or it will bind.

I don't know that this is your machines problem, but it's something to consider after you have oiled everything. The only way to loosen it, IF that is the problem is to pull the plastic side plate off, stick in a bit or screw driver and loosen the set screws without rotating the machine. If it's too tight it will loosen up after the screws are loosened up and retightened. At least that's what mind did.

Joe

When I turn the handwheel the knurled wheel that selects zig zag or blind stitch turns with it. That doesn't seem right. Maybe a clue to the stiffness as it is in the horizontal shaft.

This in response to post about stylist 457 that bobbin is not moving. I have the same problem. I changed the small gear and moved the timing belt but can't figure out about the timing. I notice the circular cap under the machine and hook doesn't seem to have screws in in it. I'd appreciate understanding the way to check the timing hook connection. Thanks, Seanne
    Last edited by Seanne; 01-19-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Timing

I got to change the piece but i don't understand how to time it as English is not my first language, is there any way you can put pics for me as a guide??? I will really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by mally51 View Post
    I got to change the piece but i don't understand how to time it as English is not my first language, is there any way you can put pics for me as a guide??? I will really appreciate it.
    http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/457gear/ has a good explanation and some good pictures. The timing is really simple once you know how the machine works.
    My Singers: Model 12 (1883), VS2 Painted Red and Cream Roses and Daisies (1891), VS2 Victorian (1891), Model 15 (1917), 27 Tiffany (1900), 66 Lotus (1922), 96k41 (1949), 96k41 (1947), 103k (1950), 201k (1953), 206k11 (1950), 222k (1959), 306k, 319k, 320k2, 401a, 411g
    Others: Necchi Supernova Ultra 2, Climax, Empisal (1960s), Bernina Record 530-2, Bernina Record 830, Pfaff 60, Pfaff 260

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6