Standard treadle machine

Old 10-19-2014, 06:37 AM

Smile Standard treadle machine

Hi,
I have a Standard treadle sewing machine that appears to be in good condition. I have it threaded and a new belt on it, but I'm having a hard time treading. I have a couple of questions, and I'm hoping someone can help. First, in which direction should the wheel turn? And second, is there an easy way to take the bobbin in nod out? Lastly, I'm not sure if I have the belt on correctly. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks!
Old 10-19-2014, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

There are videos on sewing with treadles and a few QB members who sew with treadles. I'm sure they will help you so you can have fun with it.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:01 AM

Seweasyquilts,

To determine which way the hand wheel should turn is easy. If the machine has both forward and reverse on the stitch length regulator set it on forward. Put a piece of fabric under the presser foot and turn the hand wheel. If the fabric feeds properly you're turning it the right direction. If it goes backwards, you're turning it wrong.

Can you post a picture of the machine? It will help us help you.

The treadle belt needs to be just tight enough to not slip. Any tighter makes it harder to treadle than needed.

As far as the bobbin goes, once you figure out how it is suppose to work, just practice doing it. That's all I do.

What part of IL are you in?

Joe
Old 10-19-2014, 08:06 AM

Welcome aboard! Looks like Joe has you covered. It's also a good idea to go through the sticky on cleaning and maintaining these old machines and watch Muv's videos. It's well worth the time spent.
Rodney
Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 AM

Do you have a Stout or Slim? My newer "stout" has a bobbin case with a latch and works like most machines with bobbin cases.

However the Slim is quite different, and takes some dexterity to work the release lever and pull out the bobbin case at the same time. I have to use both hands to get the job done, but it's not hard. I pull up the lever with my index finger of my right hand and with my left, get my thumb and index fingernails wrapped around the center part of the bobbin case and pull. I'm not sure I could do this without fingernails though.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:30 AM

Both of my Standard rotaryies rotate clockwise, however my Standard VS rotates counterclockwise . . . none have reverse.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:32 AM

And one more thing, do you have the chainstitch adapter? I fell in love with the machine becuase it's convertable. Not that I've used it yet though.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:41 AM

Maybe this will help - if you need more info from the manual, let me know.

The instructions explain how to do it with one hand . . . BTW - notice that they say to reach under the table, not put your fingers through the trap door -that's only to see what you are doing. I use both fingers of both hands through the trap door. Guess I'm doing it wrong LOL!!

Got on my photobucket site and realized I already had several pictures.

This is the Slim (older)

and Stout (newer)

And the two bobbin cases,

Stout and Slim

Last edited by Macybaby; 10-19-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:18 PM

Thanks for all of the replies! I have a "slim", and I eventually did get the bobbin out and cleaned. The hand wheel rolls toward the back to advance the fabric with the feed dogs, and everything runs well using just the wheel. However, as soon as I start treading, the wheel rolls toward the front of the machine making a reverse stitch. How do you set the stitch regulator?
Old 10-19-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Seweasyquilts View Post
Thanks for all of the replies! I have a "slim", and I eventually did get the bobbin out and cleaned. The hand wheel rolls toward the back to advance the fabric with the feed dogs, and everything runs well using just the wheel. However, as soon as I start treading, the wheel rolls toward the front of the machine making a reverse stitch. How do you set the stitch regulator?
I don't know if this is applicable to your machine but works with my White treadle, which also has handwheel that rolls to back.

I hold the hand wheel firm and take one foot and press the back of the treadle all the way down and hold firm. You may hear a swoosh sound. When I put a new belt on, I could not do this step and that told me it was too tight. Next push or roll the handwheel. At the same time take the other foot and press firm on onthe fornt of the treadle. Now, keep the treadle motion going, one foot to the back and the other to the front. You can also just roll the handwheel while you get the treadle going but you must start with the treadle to the floor in the back. Written directions are not my forte so hope I did not confuse you more.