Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Standard treadle owner still needs help......

I have a Standard (patented 1887) slim, but the bobbin case looks different. There is no tab on my bobbin case, just two cut out holes to pluck it out. I understand that there were variations to the Standard rotary machines, the 'newer' ones can do the chain stitch (with the right needle plates) pretty well. Mine is still shredding the threads in chain stitch mode.....still trying to figure out what went wrong. Oh but the lock stitch is just beautiful. I don't have the treadle base, so I am trying to put it on a normal Singer treadle base to see if I can still operate the machine with the right hinge holes (modified) on the table. Wish me luck!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by loverabbits View Post
    I have a Standard (patented 1887) slim, but the bobbin case looks different. There is no tab on my bobbin case, just two cut out holes to pluck it out. I understand that there were variations to the Standard rotary machines, the 'newer' ones can do the chain stitch (with the right needle plates) pretty well. Mine is still shredding the threads in chain stitch mode.....still trying to figure out what went wrong. Oh but the lock stitch is just beautiful. I don't have the treadle base, so I am trying to put it on a normal Singer treadle base to see if I can still operate the machine with the right hinge holes (modified) on the table. Wish me luck!
    Usually if there is thread shredding there is a burr some place. Trace the thread path, including the needle and look/feel for burrs.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

needlebar.org has a really good page about stouts/slims

you need a slim spider and a chain-needle plate to chainstitch

there is also a "lock" needle plate neededto lock stitch

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4