Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Standard treadle owner still needs help...... >

Standard treadle owner still needs help......

Standard treadle owner still needs help......

Old 05-17-2013, 08:33 PM

I have a Standard (patented 1887) slim, but the bobbin case looks different. There is no tab on my bobbin case, just two cut out holes to pluck it out. I understand that there were variations to the Standard rotary machines, the 'newer' ones can do the chain stitch (with the right needle plates) pretty well. Mine is still shredding the threads in chain stitch mode.....still trying to figure out what went wrong. Oh but the lock stitch is just beautiful. I don't have the treadle base, so I am trying to put it on a normal Singer treadle base to see if I can still operate the machine with the right hinge holes (modified) on the table. Wish me luck!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by loverabbits View Post
I have a Standard (patented 1887) slim, but the bobbin case looks different. There is no tab on my bobbin case, just two cut out holes to pluck it out. I understand that there were variations to the Standard rotary machines, the 'newer' ones can do the chain stitch (with the right needle plates) pretty well. Mine is still shredding the threads in chain stitch mode.....still trying to figure out what went wrong. Oh but the lock stitch is just beautiful. I don't have the treadle base, so I am trying to put it on a normal Singer treadle base to see if I can still operate the machine with the right hinge holes (modified) on the table. Wish me luck!
Usually if there is thread shredding there is a burr some place. Trace the thread path, including the needle and look/feel for burrs.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:10 PM

needlebar.org has a really good page about stouts/slims

you need a slim spider and a chain-needle plate to chainstitch

there is also a "lock" needle plate neededto lock stitch
Old 05-21-2015, 10:23 AM

http://needlebar.org/main/survresults/standard1/index.html

HiDesertQuilter,

Your attachments, especially the spider, are for a Standard Stout. Identifying feature is the hollow pin on the spider.

I think the above survey, a summary of results document, from over at Needlebar.org, gives you exactly what you asked for.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:08 AM

Wow! My machine is older than the oldest in the survey. Serial number 58676. No spider for her obviously. Glad I happened to get back to this conversation. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Does anybody have a needle plate for the standard chain stitch? Pic of top and bottom would be appreciated.