SUCCESS hand crank

Old 11-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Ok, now I'm curious - how can you guys tell it's recent? Is it the decals that give it away? Or is it just some sort of spidey sense you guys have developed over the years?
When you've seen a few of them close up it gets easier to tell. For this machine it's a combination of the little things. The decals, the spool pins, the storage space cover, the modern accessories, the cheap looking wood cover and I'd bet dollars to donuts the feed dog drop knob and parts of the tension assembly are chrome covered plastic.

The quickest way to spot one of the repro Singers is to look for plastic. Tension assemblies, any knobs, and the electric connection if there is one will be modern plastic. The electric connection will also be a modern one, looks nothing like the old 3 pin connection.

Cari
Old 11-26-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I suspect it's Indian made. The decals just look Indian to me. The Chinese ones are different.

Joe
Not as experienced as you, but I agree with the machine probably being from India. The decals are garish but pretty well done. The decals on the chinese machines often don't look as carefully applied.

If you really want it, PM me before the auction closes. I'll check back before then.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:29 AM

Monopas,

Thanks for the offer, but I've spied one I want even more. Probably will go for less too.

Joe