SUCCESS hand crank

Old 11-25-2014, 03:13 PM

Default SUCCESS hand crank

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-18878639.html
there is a beautiful hand crank in tacoma wa that someone is stealing. problem, it has to be picked up.
I hope a fellow QB member gets it.
karen
Old 11-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

looks like a recent clone
Old 11-25-2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
looks like a recent clone
That was my first thought too.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:22 PM

it's recent. like 60's up. plus to me it's looks 3/4 size ??

The hi bidder looks like a shill bidder. if not there getting a nice price on that.

when they started goodwill auctions, I would bid, then I noticed the bid going up and up. every bidder started with a letter ended with a number and over 6 digits more often 8+, Those bidders would drop off after the item went over $50, at that time the new bidders ending number would be higher..

joe posted a thread about this.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:19 AM

Ok, now I'm curious - how can you guys tell it's recent? Is it the decals that give it away? Or is it just some sort of spidey sense you guys have developed over the years?

I saw this machine and thought it looked a little "off" but I can't put my finger on what seems "off" about it. Looking at it again I think it's the decals that are making me squint. I did notice the spool pins look weird...I'm guessing someone put an extra pin into a oil hole.

I like to lurk around on the shopgoodwill site but the shipping cost has always turned me off of anything I considered bidding on. Which is probably for the best, honestly, since I really don't know what I'm doing and am more of a "wannabe" than anything else. I just like cool old stuff. LOL
Old 11-26-2014, 06:44 AM

I've been watching this one too. Had it not been PU ONLY I would have bid on it.

I think the Japanese made clones were made to sell in a much more conservative time, and to compete with Singer. So their ornamentation was simple to very nice, but conservative. The latest Chinese and Indian made clones are pandering to a much more liberal population and Singer isn't in the picture any more.
The truth is I like the gaudy decals on these newer machines. Been trying to score on one for a while. Problem is so has a lot of folks and I haven't snagged one yet.

There are only two bidders working this one over. I could be one of them is a shill but it's hard to tell. I watch the auctions and if I see a bidder coming in and running the auction price up, then quitting, or running it up, winning then see the item come back again I can pretty much bet that is a shill bidder.

My wife and I watched one early in on and caught them doing just this. We collected several auction numbers where this happened and then contacted GW corporate with a complaint. They answered saying it couldn't possibly be the case, but coincidentally that bidder all but disappeared right after that.

Joe
Old 11-26-2014, 07:37 AM

It's currently at $36.96. I didn't check the bid history. The bentwood case looks like the newer Chinese ones. Looks bright enough to be a Chinese clone but the chrome feed dog knob looks older-very similar to my Rodney machine. I wish there was a good shot of the badge where the Singer oval would normally be. I'd like to know if it's Chinese or a very brightly decorated Japanese machine.
Rodney
Old 11-26-2014, 08:42 AM

I suspect it's Indian made. The decals just look Indian to me. The Chinese ones are different.

Joe
Old 11-26-2014, 09:01 AM

any time theres a hand crank unit, look at the Handel every newer one will have a thin stamped steel handel. The old originals.. most often are a thick cast handel
Old 11-26-2014, 09:19 AM

Isn't the feed dog knob on the bed an indicator that it is from the 60's and possibly a repro? This along with the super bright decals, the newer/repro style of handle on the case, the chrome catch that holds the bed onto the case which are usually black and the shininess of all the other chrome that isn't congruent with the wear on the outside of the case, all makes me suspicious.

Now, that said, after a search I did come across a "Success" brand, fur sewing machine - not sure if there is any relationship or if they made domestic machines but I did notice that the style of logo for the word "Success" is entirely different so I would be inclined to think that they did not manufacture this particular machine and that it most likely is a Chinese repro
http://www.successfurmachines.com/index.php?lang=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wap-5FzaL1s

Shazam!!!!!