Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is there a machine that you just don't like .... >

Is there a machine that you just don't like ....

Is there a machine that you just don't like ....

Old 09-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
FYI: I have a parts machine in parts, either a 99 or a 66, which could use a good, new to it, home.
I could use a 99 parts machine but I sure would hate to ship one...
Old 09-02-2014, 01:38 PM

particular parts? and you dont have any lurking somewhere in a forgotten corner?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

99s usually can be coaxed into to working. I have one that came off the punkin truck that needs a needle bar and the bits that hold it on - nose job I'd say.... I'm betting it had a stuck needle bar and someone tried to force it. I have parts off a 285 or what ever it was and the parts don't quite match up.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:13 PM

Does it have reverse?
Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
I can answer this. My daughter's Singer 237. We have not bonded at all and my daughter doesn't like it either. It's a PITB to sew with and both the straight stitch and zigzag leave lots to be desired. Cleaned & oiled the hell outta that thing & it still doesn't make nice with us. That is why she uses my 301 or the Bel Aire from Occupied Japan.

FYI: I have a parts machine in parts, either a 99 or a 66, which could use a good, new to it, home.
I also have a 237. It sews great stitches both SS and ZZ. Your machine must have some sticking parts in the mechanism you haven't gotten cleaned and or oiled enough.
It's only problem is the cheap junk light assembly and motor that is a bit noisy. Other than that it's a good machine.

Careful about offering or commenting about having machines that need new homes. That is a good way to get the axe on this forum. Or have you forgotten SteveH already?

Joe
Old 09-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
Does it have reverse?
What one you talkin' 'bout?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I also have a 237. It sews great stitches both SS and ZZ. Your machine must have some sticking parts in the mechanism you haven't gotten cleaned and or oiled enough.
It's only problem is the cheap junk light assembly and motor that is a bit noisy. Other than that it's a good machine.

Careful about offering or commenting about having machines that need new homes. That is a good way to get the axe on this forum. Or have you forgotten SteveH already?

Joe
Haven't forgotten him but didn't know that was what had happened. I've been gone close to 2 months for the most part.

I got to thinking, I'll bet my daughter's is a 327 & not the 237. I have one of those and it does work well.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:36 AM

your 99 Miriam, same part for either version? Wasnt sure without looking at em both
Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
99s usually can be coaxed into to working. I have one that came off the punkin truck that needs a needle bar and the bits that hold it on - nose job I'd say.... I'm betting it had a stuck needle bar and someone tried to force it. I have parts off a 285 or what ever it was and the parts don't quite match up.
I learned the hard way about forcing it. I know the needlebar and linkage are the same on older and newer 99s. My daughter's machine is a 1952(?) model 99K with reverse and the needlebar I used to replace it came from a 1929(?) 99 with no reverse. I may be off a year or two on them. It's been more than 5 minutes since I checked their serial numbers. The biggest difference I found inside the nose is 1 of the screws holding the linkages together is different.
Rodney
Old 09-03-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

Joe
Unless they pop on and make a post about exactly what he did wrong to get banned (and not just delete the thread in silence), I'm pretty sure people will continue to offer machines and parts.