Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Things I learned or remembered while servicing the 99 twins - Very Long! >

Things I learned or remembered while servicing the 99 twins - Very Long!

Things I learned or remembered while servicing the 99 twins - Very Long!

Old 10-16-2015, 04:25 PM

I've totally given up on 99's. Got frustrated with the last one a week ago. I'm done. NO more.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Nice work Tammi, is that an Urban Threads design? I've had one of those mishaps too, when I got my first machine the 200. It was a baby onesie that didn't survive. You've given me an idea. I've made one sewing machine cover out of pre quilted fabric that I embroidered on, now I'm thinking a leather or vinyl one might be cool to try.

Cari
Yes, it's UT. I am SO addicted to their designs!
I still wear the T-shirt. It's my humility shirt! I really just bought a number of T's on clearance at Walmart or similar to use as canon fodder for the machine. If I messed them up, they were $5 T's and I didn't care and it was less than I can buy fabric for here.

I will warn you, even with a leather needle - the noise with leather can be a little alarming but the result is great. I also love FSL on this machine! I still want to make a cover for every machine in the studio but I think it will take a long time to dress 21 machines! I loved the design that Dave McCallum had for the featherweight covers. I wonder if he would sell the embroidery design now that he's not making the covers anymore.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
I've totally given up on 99's. Got frustrated with the last one a week ago. I'm done. NO more.
Why? They're not my favorite model but,....
Old 10-17-2015, 01:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
Awe, those really are good machines and easier to work on than most but not as easy as a Singer 15 or a clone. They sew very nice, too. I wonder what some Igor did to your machine before you got it?
Old 10-17-2015, 03:46 AM

I think 99 is very easily underestimated because production were kept up way into the 50s and further with almost identical off spring. It was introduced in 1910, and I don't think it was behind any model at the time. In those days model 66 was Singers top model with it's drop in round bobbin and ease of use. The 99 came about as a popluar request for a smaller version parallel to models 27/28, and 127/128. It was a great sucess, not only because it cost less, which I assume is one of the two main reason it's very often refered to as "economy model" or "low end". The other one being in comparison with later technological develpments. By 1950 it certainly was not the newest and latest, but when comparing to machines made from around 1970 its qualities as solid, capable, and hard wearing certainly stands out. They can sound noisy on full speed but when properly set up they should be on par with almost any machine with a few exceptions like the 201. Later machines tend to be much faster so it's a bit of an unfair comparison. I know some have fitted it with new and stronger motor with sucsess, sewing much faster than the original setup. If you take care and pay a bit of attention to the base of the machine as well as the standard cleaning, oiling and finer adjustments I promise a pleasant sewing experience on this model. My machine was made in 1934, fitted with lights and motor and has the knob stitch length controller without backtack. I don't think there's much difference to the later versions with stitch length lever.

I have messed to much when cleaning my 99K, and I have to sit down with ArchaicArcane's guidelens and see if I can make sense of them. Mine stitches fine, with little noise, but tension might be a bit off sync.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-17-2015 at 04:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Awe, those really are good machines and easier to work on than most but not as easy as a Singer 15 or a clone. They sew very nice, too. I wonder what some Igor did to your machine before you got it?
I find Igor really likes the 99s. It seems like they're the most kludged machines I get but they always seem to be pretty happy when I'm finished with them.

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I think 99 is very easily underestimated because production were kept up way into the 50s and further with almost identical off spring. It was introduced in 1910, and I don't think it was behind any model at the time. In those days model 66 was Singers top model with it's drop in round bobbin and ease of use. The 99 came about as a popluar request for a smaller version parallel to models 27/28, and 127/128. It was a great sucess, not only because it cost less, which I assume is one of the two main reason it's very often refered to as "economy model" or "low end". The other one being in comparison with later technological develpments. By 1950 it certainly was not the newest and latest, but when comparing to machines made from around 1970 its qualities as solid, capable, and hard wearing certainly stands out. They can sound noisy on full speed but when properly set up they should be on par with almost any machine with a few exceptions like the 201. Later machines tend to be much faster so it's a bit of an unfair comparison. I know some have fitted it with new and stronger motor with sucsess, sewing much faster than the original setup. If you take care and pay a bit of attention to the base of the machine as well as the standard cleaning, oiling and finer adjustments I promise a pleasant sewing experience on this model. My machine was made in 1934, fitted with lights and motor and has the knob stitch length controller without backtack. I don't think there's much difference to the later versions with stitch length lever.

I have messed to much when cleaning my 99K, and I have to sit down with ArchaicArcane's guidelens and see if I can make sense of them. Mine stitches fine, with little noise, but tension might be a bit off sync.
I don't think I've ever thought of the 99 as a budget or low end machine. The Spartan though. In a time when machines weren't considered complete without a motor, ONLY shipping with a motor (no light, no fancy decals) was definitely bare bones.

The tension could also be the thread take up spring being positioned wrong.

There were changes to that hook and the finger that I was talking about in the original post. Later machines have a moving finger, the earlier ones need to be disassembled differently. Later machines had the oil wick by the hook removed as well. I seem to vaguely recall a few other "revisions" too but nothing serious.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:46 AM

Thanks everyone, this has been a great thread. I am going to tackle my new Lark today motor and tension issues.
Helen Ann
Old 10-18-2015, 07:02 AM

Red face

*** Thanks for the info.
*** with your help I finally have my 66K up & running.