Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Thread keeps catches in mechanism around bobbin casing on my 301a >

Thread keeps catches in mechanism around bobbin casing on my 301a

Thread keeps catches in mechanism around bobbin casing on my 301a

Old 03-09-2017, 10:46 AM

Default Thread keeps catches in mechanism around bobbin casing on my 301a

My 301a machine was working fine for the 3 weeks that I have had it. Even filled up the bobbin a couple times. The third time in filling up the bobbin, I started getting a problem. First I was having a problem with the bobbin not staying in the bobbin mechanism. (Found out it was too full). Then I found it was threaded wrong caused by the thread whiplashing. So now I have the thread getting stuck in the bobbin mechanism every time. What is going on?
Old 03-09-2017, 12:32 PM

There should be a few free manuals on line that you can download, I went to ISMACS to get mine. Have you cleaned the bobbin area and under the needle plate? Clean the bobbin case, maybe a few drops of oil in the bobbin area. Best I can say is get a manual and read it.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:46 PM

Sounds like perhaps when you were having your whiplashing problem a tiny bit of thread got stuck somewhere. Look in there with a flashlight both from the side where you insert the bobbin case as well as from the top (remove the cover plate). You can try using tweezers to remove any stuck bits. I've been surprised in the past thinking I'd removed every little piece and found some pesky bit still stuck. Amazing the havoc those little bits can cause.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:11 AM

My bobbin case occasionally will get tiny areas, like under the metal tension straps inside, where the lint will form a small pin head sized ball and that can create havoc. It is not easy to get them out either without scratching those straps or the inside of the bobbin case.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Check in your manual to see if the needle is inserted the correct direction and that the thread is put in the needle the right direction.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:54 PM

Miriam is correct - the 301 threads right to left so the needle is inserted with the flat side to the left. The first thing I would do is take the bobbin assembly apart and clean it. Remove the two screws in the bed of the machine from the top, then the bottom parts will come out. When reassembling, the little finger has to be upright to fit into the slot in the plate or the machine won't sew. I found my manual free online.