Thread wrapping around needle

Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 AM

Default Thread wrapping around needle

Last night I noticed my top thread is wrapping itself around the needle and sorta creating a loose knot with the bobbin thread. Speed doesn't seem to be a factor as it does it both fast and slow. This machine is an 80"s model mechanical so no computer. Stitch length at about 2.5. Any ideas? I can still sew with it like this but its a bear when I remove the fabric from under the presser foot.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:04 AM

crocee,

First I might be all wet on my theory but here goes.

Are you using cross wrapped spools? If so sometimes they are directional and will twist into spirals if the thread is pulled off the spool from the wrong end. So try turning the spool the other way.

Like I said that's just a theory and I might be all wet.

Joe
Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 AM

You could be on to something Joe. I'm using Isocord and it is cross wrapped. I have the spool turned upside down because it wobbles otherwise. Isocord has a huge end and a small end. The small end is on the top and I have it so its reversed. I'll turn it over and see if that helps.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:31 AM

Crocee,

Try putting it in a cup behind the machine or to the side of it instead. That way you can have it sitting upright the way it wants to be, and it won't wobble on the pin at the same time. Cross wound thread doesn't like to turn with the spool it wants to come off the top of the cone / spool like serger thread. Additionally, if the huge end is up, you're creating a lot of inertia from that end wagging - think of the pendulum on a grandfather clock - and I can see that causing problems.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Crocee,

Try putting it in a cup behind the machine or to the side of it instead. That way you can have it sitting upright the way it wants to be, and it won't wobble on the pin at the same time. Cross wound thread doesn't like to turn with the spool it wants to come off the top of the cone / spool like serger thread. Additionally, if the huge end is up, you're creating a lot of inertia from that end wagging - think of the pendulum on a grandfather clock - and I can see that causing problems.
Please excuse my mess lol. This is how I have my set up behind my machine. I have an old Christmas ornament stand an a mason jar just behind the machine next to the motor. Making sure the thread is away from the belts or anything that could pull. Then thread as normal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477793[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails 0603141655.jpg  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the great ideas on an alternate spool feeder. I will give these a try tomorrow.