Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Top thread breaking on featherweight >

Top thread breaking on featherweight

Top thread breaking on featherweight

Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 AM

Hey, that is great. I was beginning to think a bad needle. Featherweights just DO NOT give us any kind of problem just for the sake of aggravating us.....
Old 06-17-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Thanks! I'm now suspecting a problem with the needle but will try rethreading first before changing out needle.
This makes me think that some of us don't change the needle unless it breaks or bends. Needles do wear down, like a stylus in a record player. After a while it'll be blunt and give you problems.
Needles are very cheap, so this doesn't have to happen.
Just Googled this phrase "how often should I change my sewing machine needle?" and the first two results cobtained the phrase "Change your needles often" in the summary alone.

EDIT: They all say every few hours of sewing or after every project.

Last edited by manicmike; 06-17-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:21 PM

Glad you were able to correct the problem easily....I had a needle just last week that was bad from the moment I put it into the machine.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

I have 100 Organ needles from Ebay that shred thread, break thread or break the needle. The grooves aren't straight and the holes are irregular. Look at any needles you buy through a magnifying glass to see that they look ok.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have 100 Organ needles from Ebay that shred thread, break thread or break the needle. The grooves aren't straight and the holes are irregular.
Imagine if all of a sudden ammunition factories cut their prices by 75% but the casings were of very thin metal and most of them not straight and differing amounts of powder inside each bullet. Would anyone be OK with that?

At the risk of sounding old, how have we allowed acceptable values to become so low? Organ are a reputable company, so are the needles knock-offs or are Organ now at the same low low standard of garbage we've come to expect from so many other manufacturers? It's depressing to keep hearing of people buying stuff that just doesn't work. In the future will it be impossible to buy anything that actually works?

Not good enough. Manufacturers are going out of their way to shaft us all and not even provide a basic level of quality in a product (that the things they take our money for actually work, don't shred thread, don't kill us etc).
Old 06-18-2014, 01:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Imagine if all of a sudden ammunition factories cut their prices by 75% but the casings were of very thin metal and most of them not straight and differing amounts of powder inside each bullet. Would anyone be OK with that?

At the risk of sounding old, how have we allowed acceptable values to become so low? Organ are a reputable company, so are the needles knock-offs or are Organ now at the same low low standard of garbage we've come to expect from so many other manufacturers? It's depressing to keep hearing of people buying stuff that just doesn't work. In the future will it be impossible to buy anything that actually works?

Not good enough. Manufacturers are going out of their way to shaft us all and not even provide a basic level of quality in a product (that the things they take our money for actually work, don't shred thread, don't kill us etc).
Made in China... I'm thinking most of the time Organ needles are just fine. That must have been a batch of irregulars. By the time we figured it out it was past the date of 2 days to return stuff. I wonder if someone in China picked the trash and then decided to sell the irregular needles. The needles do work if you are punching holes in paper with no thread.... Before the return date, if you buy bulk needles check the grooves and the holes - look for bends and twists and odd shaped rough holes. I wish I could get a big enough clear picture. After that I buy Schmetz most of the time. I can get them with a half off coupon at Joann's or somewhere about the same as on line.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I wonder if someone in China picked the trash and then decided to sell the irregular needles.
Sorry to go on about it Miriam but say you're down to your last 10 needles and decided to be prepared for a couple of months' time? Why would you even think they might all be rubbish and rush to test them all? Is 2 days really a reasonable warranty?
If I got garbage I'd expect to be able to return it, otherwise they've "got away with it" and will keep peddling said garbage to unsuspecting honest folks like you.

This couldn't have happened 20 years ago because you'd be in a shop and the shop would take responsibility for what they sell. Did you give the seller negative feedback? Once a few people give this their business drops off dramatically, and they might start learning about customer service. I seem to be more upset about these dodgy needles than you are so it's probably time for me to shut up
Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 AM

My brother used to say that businesses in his area had the idea that if they could get $1 from a million people they'd make $1,000,000. So, they weren't very interested in come back service. He lived in LA at the time. It seems like a lot of businesses have this attitude now. The only thing that matters is the bottom line.... gotta keep the CEO happy making his/her huge bonuses...... not concerned that workers are struggling to buy food for their families.

It's a far cry from the kind of people I want to do business with. I still like quality products from reputable sellers. I don't think that's so much to ask for.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:55 PM

AAARRGGHH I just spent more than 4hrs with a featherweight that kept breaking the top thread. I had that baby apart a dozen times. I even took the tension apart 3x. I looked up to see if I could find some info and again went back and took the tension apart. then I decided that I was going to sit down and read everything about FW that has been posted here on the QB. and all that time I was threading from the left to the right and it was suppose to be the right to the left!!!! it has a beautiful stitch. AARRGGHH. at least I know now. sigh
Old 06-30-2014, 11:20 AM

This is exactly the kind of thing that might incentivize some entrepeneur to it do here. Competition drove business away, and it can bring it back.