Treadle table questions

Old 11-15-2014, 06:46 PM

Neat setup! I'd love to see it in person too. It does look like it was meant to be either electric or treadle depending on the owner's needs at the moment. Does it look like there might be (or might have been) a knee controller for power when it's electric? I think Joe is right, the bracket was for a Hamilton Beach style motor. I think I saw one that was badged Singer before. It looks like there is a motor boss under the bracket so you could put a regular Singer motor on if you wanted, I would be inclined to find the HB one though.
Rodney
Old 11-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Banned

Rodney, I *think* this is the type of setup where the treadle pedal(say that 5 times fast) becomes the foot control for the electric motor. I've seen the whole setup once a long time ago so don't remember exactly what it looks like.

Cari
Old 11-15-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Neat setup! I'd love to see it in person too. It does look like it was meant to be either electric or treadle depending on the owner's needs at the moment. Does it look like there might be (or might have been) a knee controller for power when it's electric? I think Joe is right, the bracket was for a Hamilton Beach style motor. I think I saw one that was badged Singer before. It looks like there is a motor boss under the bracket so you could put a regular Singer motor on if you wanted, I would be inclined to find the HB one though.
Rodney
It really would be cool to find the HB one and get it running correctly. I'll have to wait for more to write in and do my research. A TOTAL guess is that the treadle paddle could possibly operate as the foot controller with the box on the bottom. I think the box might just be a foot control. I am not sure at all but tomorrow I will be digging into more.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Rodney, I *think* this is the type of setup where the treadle pedal(say that 5 times fast) becomes the foot control for the electric motor. I've seen the whole setup once a long time ago so don't remember exactly what it looks like.

Cari
Cari, I hadn't seen your post...it feels that way to me. The treadle peddle is operating within the box the wiring goes to and it squeeks just a bit like a foot controller.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Joe, do you have a photo of what I would be looking for? If I knew what to look for, I could at least keep an eye out.

I'm looking closer and I can see the when the bottom wooden part is lifted to expose the treadle paddle and is clipped in the upright position it actually presses a small button on the right inside bit I thought was a terminal. That must be a switch perhaps to switch off from electric power?
Yes, I have one of those motors. I'll get some pics of it tomorrow and post them.

Joe
Old 11-15-2014, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Yes, I have one of those motors. I'll get some pics of it tomorrow and post them.

Joe
Thanks Joe, I'd appreciate it!
Old 11-16-2014, 12:55 PM

HAMILTON BEECH MOTOR pics for Christy:

This one is badged "New Home", but I've seen pics of them with Singer, Hamilton Beech, Westinghouse, Western Electric, and maybe other name placards.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]499053[/ATTACH]
You can see the pivot point where the motor and the black bracket meets. I haven't had this one apart yet but I suspect that if you remove the spring the curved bracket will slide off the shaft on the motor part.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]499054[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499055[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499056[/ATTACH]

The one thing I have noticed is the bodies and end caps are prone to cracks and fractures. I rebuilt a Western Electric one for a forum member and had to JB Weld the end caps where the nuts held it together. They had fractured.
This one has several cracks in the body. Hopefully it won't disassemble itself when I take it apart to clean it.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5899.jpg   img_5900.jpg   img_5901.jpg   img_5902.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 07:12 AM

Thanks Joe! And thank you for the warning about cracks and fractures. That lets me know to look carefully at it if I find one AND to handle it with care when working on it. I have a lot more homework to do before I get to that point! I found an article here http://oldsingersewingmachineblog.co...treadle-bases/ **You need to scroll down the page, but it talks about a Singer convertible table and special motor controller. This isn't exactly like what mine has going on...but there are enough similarities to let me know I am on the right track!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I love the look of that cabinet..