Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Vintage 301 Singer Sewing Machine Question

  1. #1
    Senior Member quilter711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    406
    Blog Entries
    47
    This board has started me looking for the perfect vintage machine. I would love to purchase one of these machines preferably in black with a long bed. My question is about nicks and scratches on the paint. Can this be touched up and not be noticed? I would think the black machine would be harder to hide (the beige machine may be a better choice)? It seems that ebay has a lot of replacement parts and accessories for sale. This should not be a problem?

    Thank you for any help or info that you can give.
    Nancy
    Quilter711

  2. #2
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,744
    i am on the look out for a treadle the hunt is part of the fun

  3. #3
    Super Member tuesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Home!.. Why? Where are you?
    Posts
    2,260
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter711
    This board has started me looking for the perfect vintage machine. I would love to purchase one of these machines preferably in black with a long bed. My question is about nicks and scratches on the paint. Can this be touched up and not be noticed? I would think the black machine would be harder to hide (the beige machine may be a better choice)? It seems that ebay has a lot of replacement parts and accessories for sale. This should not be a problem?

    Thank you for any help or info that you can give.
    Nancy
    Quilter711
    Billy (the sewing machine guru and excellent quilter) would be the one to ask about this.. He would know for sure.

  4. #4
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,582
    Blog Entries
    19
    My newly acquired 301A doesn't have a blemish on it. My 1974 Elna is quite battle worn, but I know what that machine has been asked to sew, so it's understandable. She still sews like a dream, as does the 301. As long as there's no rust, the chips don't bother me.

    If the 301 were scarred, I guess I would think it was just well used. Can it be repainted? Yes. Is it worth it? Could be. Lostn51 (Billy) does some fantastic repaints on vintage machines.

    Type 'vintage sit' in the search box and ask there.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    I dont know about me being a Guru but if you want me to be one LOL!!

    If I were you get which ever one you can and if it has any nicks or scratches you can go to the automotive paint store and they can mix some paint to match what you have. Just be sure to bring the machine!

    Billy

  6. #6
    Senior Member quilter711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    406
    Blog Entries
    47
    Thx Billy for the info! I am sure that I will be in touch again as I start this process. The hunt is on!

    Nancy
    Quilter711

  7. #7
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,757
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter711
    This board has started me looking for the perfect vintage machine. I would love to purchase one of these machines preferably in black with a long bed. My question is about nicks and scratches on the paint. Can this be touched up and not be noticed? I would think the black machine would be harder to hide (the beige machine may be a better choice)? It seems that ebay has a lot of replacement parts and accessories for sale. This should not be a problem?

    Thank you for any help or info that you can give.
    Nancy
    Quilter711
    If the scratch is small enough, on the black 301, maybe a little bit of black Sharpie is all you would need and then some car polish over the whole thing. I love my 301's and if you do get a black you will not be able to stop at just having a black one :twisted: ...heh heh heh. You will then find yourself looking for a mocha colored 301, and a two tone 301 (LBOW). I started out with a mocha, the next one was a LBOW, then a black. I now have 2 mocha's, 4 LBOW's and one poor lonely black one.

    I see that you are in Massachusetts. How are you doing with heavy snow on your roof and are you ready for more snow tomorrow ? :-( My ceilings, all along the back of my house, are leaking :shock: :shock: :shock:

  8. #8
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,757
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter711
    Thx Billy for the info! I am sure that I will be in touch again as I start this process. The hunt is on!

    Nancy
    Quilter711
    Just to get you started....here is a nice vintage Singer in Franklin, MA. It's not a 301 but is from the same era. Maybe someone else will recognize the model. It's only $55.00 and it's in a cabinet!

    http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/hsh/2192241264.html

    ETA: It looks like it may be a Singer 328k

    http://aszat.wordpress.com/2010/03/1...-machine-328k/

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAt1CRvLnKI

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter711
    Thx Billy for the info! I am sure that I will be in touch again as I start this process. The hunt is on!

    Nancy
    Quilter711
    Just to get you started....here is a nice vintage Singer in Franklin, MA. It's not a 301 but is from the same era. Maybe someone else will recognize the model. It's only $55.00 and it's in a cabinet!

    http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/hsh/2192241264.html

    ETA: It looks like it may be a Singer 328k

    http://aszat.wordpress.com/2010/03/1...-machine-328k/

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAt1CRvLnKI
    DING DING DING!!! Cathy a winner winner chicken dinner!!!!

    Except it is a 328 I have the 328K in the studio I am going to clean up and then I will put it in my blow out sale next week.

    Billy

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Cathy how are you able to stay dry? is it the snow drifts that are making it leak or what. I know you have got to be at your wits end over the water coming in.

    God love you if I could come up there and help you dry everything up you know I would be there in a New York second!!

    Billy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.