Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 505 of 561 FirstFirst ... 5 405 455 495 504 505 506 515 555 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,050 of 5608

Thread: Vintage Giggles aka What are they smoking????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    http://muncie.craigslist.org/atq/4109737935.html
    just how much should someone else pay for your sentiment???
    If it has sentimental value, why would you sell it? I have a few items that have sentimental value to them and I wouldn't sell them for a million dollars!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    Well, this is really interesting. A person looking for someone to restore an antique Singer machine. The machine looks to be in really, really rough shape, though.

http://providence.craigslist.org/wan/4143942231.html
    It can be done but it would cost a lot of time.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    Well, this is really interesting. A person looking for someone to restore an antique Singer machine. The machine looks to be in really, really rough shape, though.

http://providence.craigslist.org/wan/4143942231.html
    I'd bet real money that they stop looking for a restorer when they find out what a restorer will cost...especially on one that looks like that. Unless that one came to Oregon in the Conestoga wagon with great grandma I don't see how it'd ever be worth the cost.
    Or am I not seeing something here?

EDIT: Person of low integrity could take a good machine - repaint it using matching decals - swap the number plate - let it sit on the shelf for a month and then call it done for $400.
    Last edited by Lew Schiller; 10-22-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Schiller View Post
    I'd bet real money that they stop looking for a restorer when they find out what a restorer will cost...especially on one that looks like that. Unless that one came to Oregon in the Conestoga wagon with great grandma I don't see how it'd ever be worth the cost.
    Or am I not seeing something here?
    We should each send them a bid. LOL How much is 10 or 12 hours worth???
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    We should each send them a bid. LOL How much is 10 or 12 hours worth???
    Wouldn't there need to be a significant amount of expensive plating work that needs to be done?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Schiller View Post
    Wouldn't there need to be a significant amount of expensive plating work that needs to be done?
    yup - could run them some money... must have sentimental value.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    This one will not go away. Carved wooden pants on Singer irons.
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/art/4104275533.html
    and the worst part is that they are INDUSTRIAL irons.... grrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Aw darn Steve - I though that was an interesting art piece till you pointed that out...now...double Grrr...I could use those :-(

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Steve, Thanks to your thread I noticed that. This ad has been coming and going for at least a year. But in theory the irons could be removed and and the "art" could use a different base. The irons will only become scarcer as time goes on, so in a way, is s/he preserving them for posterity?
    Sheila

Thanks, Tammi. That thread is great for your pictures showing the differences of the 15 and 115. I thought it might be Central Bobbin, but it seems like such a meaningless distinction. Central to the left side of the machine?

This looks like a sweet deal for someone, but would it have been so hard to take a picture of the whole front of the machine? It looks like it's in a storage shed, so it would be harder now.
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/atq/4143442736.html
    I never liked that name either, but at the end of the day, I wasn't even close to being born when they named it. Not my call. If it was, I would also have said a 15-90 and a 15-91 and a 201-2 and a 201-3 should have different enough names that people wouldn't mix them up.

There's an ad on kijiji here. It shows up every few months. It's a photo of a machine cabinet crammed into a very full closet (someone -might- have a shoe problem...) I emailed her once to ask what the machine was. She said she'd dig it out and email me back with a photo. I never heard from her again, but she's posted it 3 times since. I give up. I hope this machine doesn't suffer the same fate (too lazy to sell it)

Really! Are you gonna get that? The case looks like it goes to a 348 or something like that.
    Edit: Actually the case looks newer than a 348. I don't know.
    Naw,.. I have too many projects at the moment. Someone else can and probably have to free up the stitch selectors. Or they can bring it to me, and I'll do it, but know that the machine will be gone when I'm done with it.

This one will not go away. Carved wooden pants on Singer irons.
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/art/4104275533.html
    What a creative way to ruin a set of irons!!
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Page 505 of 561 FirstFirst ... 5 405 455 495 504 505 506 515 555 ... LastLast