Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Industrial Machine?

Blog Entries

Vintage Industrial Machine?

My DH and I are sewing backpacking gear with my 15-91 and 328, but neither quite has the power we need. The 15-91 will go through 3 layers of thick webbing, but not 4. I would like to buy a vintage machine with a bit more industrial power, but do not know what models to look for. I need a true industrial machine, not one advertised as industrial just because it weighs a lot, if you know what I mean.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

You could try a 29 series "patcher" they will do it NO problem. (This one is my 29-4)

they have two belt positions, one for speed, one for umph

Name:  2012-10-28 12.05.34_sm.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  91.6 KB

Blog Entries
    What size needle are you using on the 15?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal.
    It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    What size needle are you using on the 15?
    I am using #69 bonded nylon thread. I have tried a top stitch 100, a quilting 90; had best luck with a universal 90. What size should I be using?
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    You could try a 29 series "patcher" they will do it NO problem. (This one is my 29-4)

they have two belt positions, one for speed, one for umph

Name:  2012-10-28 12.05.34_sm.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  91.6 KB
    Looks like it would do the job. Thanks for the info.
    Linda

Linda,

A 90/14 needle is too small for 69 bonded thread. Try a 100/16 or 110/18 needles.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
    I am using #69 bonded nylon thread. I have tried a top stitch 100, a quilting 90; had best luck with a universal 90. What size should I be using?
    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Linda,

A 90/14 needle is too small for 69 bonded thread. Try a 100/16 or 110/18 needles.

Cathy
    I tried the 100/16 topstitch because that was recommended by the thread manufacturer, but no luck with it. Maybe if I try a 100/16 ball point... Read that in a mag article.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
    I would try a size 18 needle - it is the biggest needle that machine will hold with out reaming out the needle hole. If you do that it could break - it is kind of close to the teeth slots. That size thread is pushing it but should work ok with the big needle. The reason you need that size needle is because the thread is thicker and could rub between the needle and the hole then cause some shredding. Four layers isn't all that much. I use an industrial walking foot machine with a 20 or 22 needle. It goes through many layers. If you use the heavy thread you will need to adjust your tensions, too. You might want to buy a bobbin case and only use it for the heavy thread once you get it adjusted. Some of the clones have a heavier motor. The shafts on the industrial machines are a little bigger around - other than that they have a more powerful motor. Some of the clones seem to accept a thicker wad of fabric than others. Some will go through heavier stuff than others. If you are doing production work you might want to find an old walking foot machine - I'm thinking the one I had was a 411 but I forget - I'm thinking $400 - $800 is a good deal - I betcha I paid 2 or 3 times that... the prices have gone down on those. You either need one that has been serviced or you will need to learn to service. It is a good idea to learn - there is always something with those - I learned a LOT. As far as a harness machine goes - it would work but not necessary. Some of the other industrial machines are set up for speed not for pulling heavy stuff through. You can do it but it would need to be set up and I wouldn't do huge projects. I bent the needle bar on a high speed Pfaff - 50 ft of canvas is really heavy when you have 5 panels.

Blog Entries
    Back to the needle. The needle has a groove on one side. The thread has to fit in the groove as the needle goes through the hole. I'll say it again - If the thread doesn't fit the groove it will shred as it rides past the hole. There are also different points on the needles. I'm not sure what you need. You may need to research the different points. When you find something that works buy 100 or so at a time.

Blog Entries
    I'm also not all that sure how strong those potted motors are compared to some of the larger external motors. I'm afraid I'm out of my element on that. I do know I've seen some that were more powerful than others.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast