Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines >

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Old 04-10-2016, 09:19 AM

Thank you Miriam for your help.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mona202 View Post
Hello Ms. Miriam! This looks like the Alden's I had posted the other day. I haven't found the manual yet but I will keep looking. I want to know what the knob on the bottom right of the machine is? It is not the letters for left right and middle for the needle so I don't know what it is. Can you enlighten me and in the meantime, I will continue to keep looking for the universal manual you mentioned. Thank you so much for your help!
Knob on bottom right = lower feed dog/raise it back up
Old 04-15-2016, 10:09 PM
Banned

Miriam, I would like to let you know, that over on the Vintage Sewing Machine (non-singer) page on FB, we have a Huge selection of manuals. Please feel free to join and get what you might need, or suggest the page to ppl looking. I have worked real hard to collect manuals for our members. Many were donated by them as well. And Sandy7865, I have the exact manual for your machine over there. It is listed in the Files as Deluxe Zig Zag.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-29-2018 at 02:35 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-16-2016, 03:02 AM
Power Poster

I have stayed off face books since it is so ADHD and such a time killer. I'll log in my hubbys page and give it a look.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Some of those old Japanese machines turn better than the old Singers. Singer had a better reputation at the time. I think there was a lot of prejudice against Japan because of the war. Any you might look to see if any of your Singer machines were made in Japan.
Singer made a 223 in Japan. It is a very nice machine there are clones of it, too.
After working on several Japanese machines marked made in occupied Japan and after working on MANY made in Japan machines, I think I now know. The made in occupied Japan machines were well enough made but very poorly adjusted. There is one I just want to throw out a window since I doubt if a sledge hammer would faze it. The next was a Singer 66 clone. It works great now that I adjusted a few things. The one I worked on last week is a 15 clone and it, too needed more adjustment than usual and now works just fine. I wonder how much word of mouth went around that those machines were junk. They kind of were. I think it might have depended on if someone took time to check it over thoroughly. I can remember even in the 60s a prejudice against Japanese machines. if you compare many of these machines they are made better than a contemporary Singer. The European machines are well made but more complicated, harder to maintain and adjust. Then getting into plastics, I start to lose interest. I think some of the Japanese machines are overly gaudy and overly control happy but that IS a big part of their charm.

Last edited by miriam; 04-16-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Banned

Miriam there are more Singer models made in Japan than the 223. There's also the 226 and just the other day I saw another one, a 339? 239? Can't remember the model number. Anyway, there's more.

I only have one Made in Occupied Japan machine and I can't remember how well it sews. I liked the pretty green and gold decals and it's very nice condition that's why I bought it. I've also heard that they weren't the best machines but the later, after 1952 machines were much better. I love my 1950s and 1960s Brother machines. They're top quality and came at a lower cost than the feature comparable European and Singers.

Cari
Old 04-16-2016, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Yup, can't remember #s these days...
I agree, you can get some very nice machines that were made in Japan... I drive a Honda....
Old 04-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Banned

Yep, several Hondas in this family too. The Accord I just sold has 279,000 miles on it and still runs good. My son bought it for me when my medical issues started and I couldn't drive a stick shift any more. The only thing I didn't like about it is I couldn't haul much in it so I bought my Pontiac with part of the inheritance. The Accord was sold real cheap to a guy who wanted a good car for his mom. Paying it forward.

Cari

Cari
Old 04-18-2016, 06:19 PM

Thanks Teena would love to have a manual. I will look this up.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:32 PM

Thank you so much Teena you have been a great help to me