Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-17-2011, 01:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Caroline S
I removed the shuttle-race and shuttle and gave them a good cleaning. That was easy. The manual does not show the red plastic thing at the bottom of the shuttle race. Among some of the paperwork that was taped in the cabinet was a round tag that said that stated that Quote: a "SHUT-L-KLEEN" had been installed on this machine for your sewing machine convenience, NO JAMMED MACHINE WITH SHUT-L-KLEEN, prevents clogging by lint or thread. Now I don't know if the tag pertains to Marilyn or some other machine. There was an instruction book for "The Eldredge Two Spool Sewing Machine" along with the Belair manual. So, who knows? I think that the only reason both the manuals survived was that they were taped to the inside of the cabinet and were very oil soaked.

I think that the cabinet Marilyn came in is much older than she is. I have never seen one like it. The oval top folds back and rests on a pull out support to create a table. Really cool. But it looks as if it spent some time in a garage because the top is marred by what looks like paint can rings, scratches and one big cigarette burn.
WOW two projects for the price of one! There is a book by George Grotz called "The Furniture Doctor" might be of help on that lovely table. http://books.google.com/books?id=P1r...page&q&f=false The book is a really good read. Sounds like the red thing is a nifty invention there to clean your shuttle! I think I saw a black one once.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Janis
Hey, Charlee & Monica & Nancy...guess what...I won a Davis Vertical Feed machine on auction this weekend, along with some attachments of some kind (haven't seen a good pic of them yet). It's just the machine, no cabinet or base, but I am sooo excited!!
That sounds exciting. I just looked up on the net to see what they look like. A neat old machine. I know nothing about them. About how old a machine are they? I want to see pictures of your machine too.
The first patent for a Davis machine was 1860. My machine is from approximately 1887-1888.

Here's a bit of history about Job Davis:
http://www.vdta.com/HOF/Davis.html

These machines were a popular export to Australia...I think because the competition made it difficult to get a start in the US and be successful.
Thanks for that info, Charlee...

Here's a pic of my machine -- this is the pic from eBay, so it's not good. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230684835535?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
With a serial number of 431930 your machine is just 5041 machines after mine...and it looks as if it may have had the same decals... so you're looking at a 1887/1888 machine made in Watertown, NY. :) Nice! You're going to love her!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
I'm really glad it's her using it and not me - I wouldn't have any hair. My old machines feel so solid and stitch so well..
Miriam, maybe it's time you taught your DD the value of the vintage machines - or are you not ready to share? :lol:
Old 10-17-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
I removed the shuttle-race and shuttle and gave them a good cleaning. That was easy. The manual does not show the red plastic thing at the bottom of the shuttle race. Among some of the paperwork that was taped in the cabinet was a round tag that said that stated that Quote: a "SHUT-L-KLEEN" had been installed on this machine for your sewing machine convenience, NO JAMMED MACHINE WITH SHUT-L-KLEEN, prevents clogging by lint or thread. Now I don't know if the tag pertains to Marilyn or some other machine. There was an instruction book for "The Eldredge Two Spool Sewing Machine" along with the Belair manual. So, who knows? I think that the only reason both the manuals survived was that they were taped to the inside of the cabinet and were very oil soaked.

I think that the cabinet Marilyn came in is much older than she is. I have never seen one like it. The oval top folds back and rests on a pull out support to create a table. Really cool. But it looks as if it spent some time in a garage because the top is marred by what looks like paint can rings, scratches and one big cigarette burn.
Caroline, that is a really nice looking cabinet and I love the Belair!

Nancy
Old 10-17-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
I don't know what Janome I had. It was new in 1998 or so and I barely used it - it was a moderately price piece - it had a few bells and whistles but it wouldn't sew anything very heavy. I had a hard time making it stop where I wanted it to - drove me nutty. It had some kind of whimpy button hole maker foot that I couldn't make button holes as good as I would have liked. I finally got rid of it. I have a quilt top somewhere I pieced on it so it must have been good for something.

I've tested a lot of different machines I will say that. There ain't a new one out there worth 2 cents as far as I am concerned. I messed with some Necchi machines and a couple Vikings. The Vikings were ok but I just never really bonded. The Necchi machines vary wildly - some were ok and some not so much. Some machines have the nose sticking out too far and make it hard to see. Makes my neck hurt. Then I found a Singer 401G in the garbage - it was a mess. My sister insisted that I make the thing work. I think she double dared or something. I did - it took a lot of research and trial and error. I used 3 in 1 oil on it. Talk about stuck up cam shaft selectors!!! I found a 403 and fell in love with it while I was working on the 401G. I had an Elna SU I was very bonded to before I burned out the motor too many times and tried to fix that. I found another Elna after 20 years... I also use a Consew walking foot for anything tough. That thing might sew through a board for all I know - just needs the right needle I guess. My favorite right now is a Singer 403 with all the disks and a bunch of attachments. I like it because it is simple. It does what I tell it to do. I can see what I am doing. It is tough. The decorative stitches look good. I can fix it my self. It is easy to keep the bobbin area clean. The gears are metal. You can peak inside at the bobbin to know how much thread is on the bobbin. My Elna kept breaking gears and burning out the motor. I'll admit when I sew I sew hard enough to kill a machine. The vintage Singer machines seem to hold up better than anything else I've had. I have tested Touch and Sews - they are good for parts and/or land fill. I think anything newer than them is probably junk too. I had a Pfaff for a while and a Bernina. They were ok but I never bonded. I never bonded with the other Viking I had - probably mid 80's piece.

My old machines feel so solid and stitch so well..
Miriam, I have a new modern - only a few years old Janome - that I loved until I got into the vintage machines a couple years ago. I admit I have not sewn on the Janome for a year. I also have a very modern new Pfaff embroidery machine, and a very modern only a few years old HQ 16 Long Arm on a 10 foot table that I use all the time still. These machines all have a purpose and I do like them when I use them. But, like you since I started piecing on the vintage ladies, my Free #5, my Two Spools, and doing FM on my 15-88, binding on my Davis Vertical Feed, etc., all treadles, I don't use the modern Janome. But, I do use the Pfaff embroidery machine and my modern Long Arm. There still is a need for the modern plastic things at times! But, I do agree with you, I really perfer the treadles - even over my FW's - although, I use the FW's alot because I take lots of classes and I can't take a treadle to class! I am not wild about my HC's. I perfer a treadle!

Nancy
Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 AM

Hey, Charlee & Monica & Nancy...guess what...I won a Davis Vertical Feed machine on auction this weekend, along with some attachments of some kind (haven't seen a good pic of them yet). It's just the machine, no cabinet or base, but I am sooo excited!!
Janice, Congratulations! Once you start binding with the Davis you will not go back! I use my Davis all the time and mine is very old 1886. Her decals are gone, we had re-do her cabinet because it was in terrible shape, but all worth it! That is one machine I will not sell, trade, etc.!

Be careful cleaning that machine, her decals will come right off! Check my Davis first pictured on page 474 - she had some decals. Now look at 1178 - decals gone! I got so into cleaning her that I cleaned the decals right off! Now, I am extremely careful about what and how I clean - no non-pumice Goo or anything like it over the decals!

Nancy
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 AM

Anyone know what this is?

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...AdIdZ322124420
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I almost paid $9 for a manual for my vintage Pfaff 1222 and more $$ for another Pfaff I just purchased. I'm glad I didn't!! I hunted and hunted and found this site with quite a few free manuals to download for many Pfaff Models. http://s2.vsmgroup.com/VSM/Pfaff/pfaffmanual.nsf
Candace , thank you! Great find! I have my Mother's beloved Pfaff 130 and my first machine - a Pfaff 1222e. I also have the Grand Quilter 1200, and a Pfaff Creative embroidery machine. I have the manuals for those machines, but always looking for vintage Pfaffs! I'd love to find a Pfaff treadle or HC!

Nancy
Old 10-17-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by justtrish
Looks like a model 20, wonder why it's not usable?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by justtrish
My local OSMG has one of these sitting in his shop - he refers to it as a toy. Won't sell it.