Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3039 of 4419 FirstFirst ... 2039 2539 2939 2989 3029 3038 3039 3040 3049 3089 3139 3539 4039 ... LastLast
Results 30,381 to 30,390 of 44186

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #30381
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    13,185
    Blog Entries
    2
    I google searched it and found out you can use Marvel Mystery Oil to un-stick a tractor engine (they also said to use diet coke... so consider the source....) I bet it would work for unsticking 3 in 1 oil - they were also suggesting Kroil. Kroil is a good one if you can find some. I just don't know if it would have to be cleaned off after that and what would you use? It also looked like it was used to clean the old carburetors with lead gas... I also saw that you can mix it with kerosene to clean... that all said I didn't see anything about using it on sewing machines.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  2. #30382
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,972
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I google searched it and found out you can use Marvel Mystery Oil to un-stick a tractor engine (they also said to use diet coke... so consider the source....) I bet it would work for unsticking 3 in 1 oil - they were also suggesting Kroil. Kroil is a good one if you can find some. I just don't know if it would have to be cleaned off after that and what would you use? It also looked like it was used to clean the old carburetors with lead gas... I also saw that you can mix it with kerosene to clean... that all said I didn't see anything about using it on sewing machines.
    I don't have a tractor! He's the first to suggest this in all of my internet wanderings and searches.

  3. #30383
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,972
    Blog Entries
    10
    Taken from http://www.ehow.com/list_6322727_sew...ernatives.html

    "Marvel Mystery Oil was developed in 1923 to fight carburetor corrosion and buildup. Company founders keep the oil formula a secret to this today, but it is effective in fixing a variety of engine problems. Although the oil type is a mystery, this oil is light enough to maintain small, motorized appliances--including a sewing machine."


    I also noticed that the Marvel Mystery Oil site states that the oil was formulated for carburetor corrosion, nothing to do with sewing machines.





  4. #30384
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    5,470
    it's also used in engines that need oil with the fuel like motorcycles,chainsaws, etc... Don't think I'll be using it in any of my sewing machines. Sewing machine oil was developed for that purpose(good enough for me!).

  5. #30385
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    13,185
    Blog Entries
    2
    nothing like having to clean up gunky oil from a machine - yuck.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  6. #30386
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Home again! Not much out there today that could come home with me...picked up a buttonholer at Goodwill for $4. Saw a GREAT 319 in a cabinet with the bench, just a bit too spendy for us tho...had a TON of stuff in the drawers and bench tho.
    Then..at one antique store, an awesome 1912 Singer 115 with Gold Wing decals in a model 22 drawing room cabinet. They wanted a mere $500, so I didn't even get to say "I want"! LOL Again, the drawers were packed with stuff...I almost cried leaving that one behind...if I couldn't buy it, I just wanted to curl up beside it and spend a night or two....
    For the most part, the day was a bust tho....not many machines there, and attachments were non-existent!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  7. #30387
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,244
    Blog Entries
    1

    Mystery oil

    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I'd say the jury is still out on that oil. (Glen??? What is your take on that oil. I know you use clock oil.)
    I do know that oiling info is very good. What he shows is exactly what to do. If a machine is stuck I go over those oil points - if that doesn't work use heat then try some Triflow or just try the Triflow... I've had to use strong cleaner on a couple stuck up with 3-in-1 oil and I'm not going to go into that here. Some oil can be a real pain when it gets dry.
    I do not recommend using this oil as sewing machine oil to lubricate any sewing machine. However it can be used to clean the old solidified oil from the machine parts. When this oil evaporates it will leave a residue that can build up and dirt will stick to it. Unlike a tractor motor it does not get hot enough to burn the residue off parts. I also do not recomend any product with silicon in it for the same reason. As Miriam said I use clock oil which is a synthitic sperm whale oil as the manufactures of this vintage machine recomends. It is a light oil that will evaporate slowly. We oil clocks one a year with this oil and they run all year with no problem. If you do not want to buy clock oil which is not cheap only use sewing machine oil that is of good quality.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  8. #30388
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,972
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    it's also used in engines that need oil with the fuel like motorcycles,chainsaws, etc... Don't think I'll be using it in any of my sewing machines. Sewing machine oil was developed for that purpose(good enough for me!).
    Okay, good enough for you than it's good enough for me too!

  9. #30389
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,972
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I do not recommend using this oil as sewing machine oil to lubricate any sewing machine. However it can be used to clean the old solidified oil from the machine parts. When this oil evaporates it will leave a residue that can build up and dirt will stick to it. Unlike a tractor motor it does not get hot enough to burn the residue off parts. I also do not recomend any product with silicon in it for the same reason. As Miriam said I use clock oil which is a synthitic sperm whale oil as the manufactures of this vintage machine recomends. It is a light oil that will evaporate slowly. We oil clocks one a year with this oil and they run all year with no problem. If you do not want to buy clock oil which is not cheap only use sewing machine oil that is of good quality.
    Thanks Glenn! I will just stick with the sewing machine oil.

  10. #30390
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    13,185
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks Glen I knew you would come up with reasons
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.