Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3243 of 4403 FirstFirst ... 2243 2743 3143 3193 3233 3242 3243 3244 3253 3293 3343 3743 4243 ... LastLast
Results 32,421 to 32,430 of 44029

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Last edited by Quilt Mom; 03-18-2012 at 06:29 PM.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

I think I need to move to Omaha!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Muv View Post
    I agree. I think it is a finger guard. You can see that the lever for the presser foot is down, but if you watch one of the other Laga videos you will see a lady finish her sewing and pull the work out without lifting the lever. I think it is a finger guard to the left side of the needle and a fraction above the work. From what I can tell the material she is sewing (thin leather?) is firm and smooth, so so long as she is holding it down firmly it will not lift as the needle rises out of it with each stitch. It's free motion, but not quilting.

I found this video, along with Leah Day's videos, very useful before attempting FMQ on my 15K treadle. It showed the speed I needed to get the needle going at.
    Enlarge the video to full screen...that's a zipper foot...she's just got the pressure released. I do that on my older machines that don't drop the dogs.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Enlarge the video to full screen...that's a zipper foot...she's just got the pressure released. I do that on my older machines that don't drop the dogs.
    Fingerguard like in the catalog.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Muv
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Fingerguard like in the catalog.
    Why not just send Laga a message and ask them - or would that spoil the fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I haven't seen a W&G like this one before....kinda cool! http://reno.craigslist.org/atq/2834953578.html
    It looks like a “Type 10 High Speed Lockstitch” machine, missing some pieces. We have one without the oil reservoir that (I think) is called a “Type 11”.CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by ThayerRags; 03-19-2012 at 04:10 AM.
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    It looks like a “Type 10 High Speed Lockstitch” machine, missing some pieces. We have one without the oil reservoir that (I think) is called a “Type 11”.CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags, is THAT your machine? Geeze, it is so wonderful looking? What a weird looking face? I would not know how to thread that machine, but it would be so cool to own one like it!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom View Post
    It depends on which Damascus you have! Damascus made by Standard takes a 15x1 needle. Damascus made by National takes a 20x1 needle, per ISMACS.

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 03-19-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Here's a couple of pics of some of the smaller end FMQ I do. I need good visibility. The spring and the spring attachment I got from Cathy will both be excellent tools.
    Ok, I am going backwards trying to catch up, but Candace you do a great job with FM, although, I need to keep going backwards to catch up to all the posts since I was on yesterday!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    my 201 is my go to FMQ. Wonderful stitches. I use serger thread for quilting, it's a little lighter than regular thread. I want to build a BIIIIIG table for my spare 201 so that my quilt is supported on all sides, but for now i just cope. In case it helps anyone, when I teach people to FMQ I recommed that they write the alphabet with the thread. We all already know how to write our letters, and so it gives you the advantage of that part of the experience being automatic.
    Wow, Laura it is always so nice to hear from the 'other' side! I am glad someone has had a good experience with the 201 and FM! So this tells me, maybe the horizontal hooks can do FM if the 'carbon based' unit in front is what? More patient, slower with their hands, something? You must be pretty good if you are teaching FM! There is a great FM teacher in my area who teaches at the local quilt stores. I have taken a couple of her classes. She doesn't care what machine you use as long as you bring the machine to class that you plan on using at home to FM with. She is a great instructor!

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 03-19-2012 at 05:46 AM.