Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3260 of 4389 FirstFirst ... 2260 2760 3160 3210 3250 3259 3260 3261 3270 3310 3360 3760 4260 ... LastLast
Results 32,591 to 32,600 of 43882

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #32591
    Senior Member grayhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    It's needed to help oil the race. Like older machines that have a felt wick for the shuttles, the Singer 66 & 99 have a wick for the same reason. Makes sense since the parts are rubbing. Gears get greased and all other parts on metal machines get oiled.
    Hi Monica, silly question, cause I'm still learning. By race are you referring to the hook ring? I just started cleaning the bobbin area of my 192K Spartan. Thank you, Anamaria

    Looking forward to your tutorial.
    Last edited by grayhare; 03-21-2012 at 10:42 AM.

  2. #32592
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,973
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Hi Monica, silly question, cause I'm still learning. By race are you referring to the hook ring? I just started cleaning the bobbin area of my 192K Spartan. Thank you, Anamaria

    Looking forward to your tutorial.
    On the Singer 201, the hook ring is different from the race. I think on the Singer 66/99 the race includes the hook.
    I don't know how the bobbin area is set up on the 192k Spartan. Have you looked at Rain's blog?

    Some of my favorite sites are Rain 's blog, Sew-Classic, and Thayers (CD)-lots can be learned just from these sites.

  3. #32593
    Senior Member grayhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    On the Singer 201, the hook ring is different from the race. I think on the Singer 66/99 the race includes the hook.
    I don't know how the bobbin area is set up on the 192k Spartan. Have you looked at Rain's blog?

    Some of my favorite sites are Rain 's blog, Sew-Classic, and Thayers (CD)-lots can be learned just from these sites.
    I was using the manual for a 99, which if I'm not mistaken is very much like the 192K Spartan. I was using the TFSR website. I will check out the sites you mention, Thank you.

  4. #32594
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,973
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    I was using the manual for a 99, which if I'm not mistaken is very much like the 192K Spartan. I was using the TFSR website. I will check out the sites you mention, Thank you.
    That was the other site that I was trying to recall. Yes!! Another excellent site for machines. Thanks!!

  5. #32595
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    I think the 16x1 will be too long. I need to check my needle list/ book first to be sure.

    Cathy

    [QUOTE=BoJangles;5078884]
    Quote Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
    Ok, I found Thomas Book I. She mentions that the 'American Girl' variant was offered in Montgomery Ward catalogs from 1928 through 1938, but that the 'Damascus' variant appeared in the MW catalogs of 1939, 1940, and 1941. So these little guys apparently were made into the 1940s (she gives the Damascus manufacture dates as 1930s-1940s). I'm not sure of the production dates of the full-size Damascus machines, but National may have introduced this variant to coincide with some promotion of its larger cousin.

    Thank you Pat and Cathy! Very interesting! So my little Damascus was made anywhere between the 1920's to the 1940's? If book 1 estimates the dates between 1920's to 1930's, then book 2 says 1930's to 1940's, I am going to go with Book 1 since according to the owner his grandmother made doll clothes with the machine in the 1920's after getting the machine as a gift. If you guys see in Book 2 that for sure my machine was made later than the 1920's, I want to know! This is fun!

    Oh Cathy, according to ISMACS needle site, the Damascus TSM takes a 16x1 needle, which to me would be way too big?

    Nancy
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  6. #32596
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Got a question for you. What is the little felt wick for, and how bad is it to the machine if it's not there? I too have a couple with that part missing.

    Joe
    Joe, I have read if you can't get wool felt to replace the wick, you can use cotton yarn. I almost pulled the wick out when it was dirty thinking it was compacted lint, then I remembered I had read something about a wick before I got my Redeye. Now that I have soaked the base in kerosene, the wick is bright red.

  7. #32597
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,973
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Joe, I have read if you can't get wool felt to replace the wick, you can use cotton yarn. I almost pulled the wick out when it was dirty thinking it was compacted lint, then I remembered I had read something about a wick before I got my Redeye. Now that I have soaked the base in kerosene, the wick is bright red.
    Also can use the spool felt cut down to fit inside.

  8. #32598
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    2,615
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    If you need any pictures of the inside or other parts of the cabinet, let me know. It's sitting in my living room, so easy for me to get pics for you.
    Janice; Thanks again. I think this is a tonite project for us so will let you know. The cabinet wasn't a priority until MIL said she was coming out for DD's HS graduation which means I need to almost completely empty craft room for a bed to go in there for her. OTOH, I am cleaning and sorting and putting tohether vaious bitsd and pieces which had gotten separated. Still have yet to find the mssing ruler which was replaced but replacement is also missing. Murphy's Law running amuck in my life again.
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

  9. #32599
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Janice; Thanks again. I think this is a tonite project for us so will let you know. The cabinet wasn't a priority until MIL said she was coming out for DD's HS graduation which means I need to almost completely empty craft room for a bed to go in there for her. OTOH, I am cleaning and sorting and putting tohether vaious bitsd and pieces which had gotten separated. Still have yet to find the mssing ruler which was replaced but replacement is also missing. Murphy's Law running amuck in my life again.
    There is NOTHING worse than cleaning your house MOTHER IN LAW clean. You know we would ALL be down to your house to help you spit and polish if we could just gather up. I do have to tell you a funny one though. My DD is really good with training birds. I don't know how but it comes natural to her. ANYWAY. She acquired a very ugly old bird nobody could do anything with once. That bird took to her and my youngest son, especially my youngest son. He was about 7 or 8 years old at the time. That bird would ride on the back of the neck of his shirt - they went EVERYWHERE together. He was that bird's baby or something. You didn't mess with that bird. OK so MIL comes for a visit. The kids decide to introduce MIL to bird. MIL tells the bird she is ugly (true) so the bird says just as plain as can ever be, "YOU BI*** - F*** YOU" We had NEVER heard anything like it from that bird before or after that.....
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  10. #32600
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    There is NOTHING worse than cleaning your house MOTHER IN LAW clean. You know we would ALL be down to your house to help you spit and polish if we could just gather up. I do have to tell you a funny one though. My DD is really good with training birds. I don't know how but it comes natural to her. ANYWAY. She acquired a very ugly old bird nobody could do anything with once. That bird took to her and my youngest son, especially my youngest son. He was about 7 or 8 years old at the time. That bird would ride on the back of the neck of his shirt - they went EVERYWHERE together. He was that bird's baby or something. You didn't mess with that bird. OK so MIL comes for a visit. The kids decide to introduce MIL to bird. MIL tells the bird she is ugly (true) so the bird says just as plain as can ever be, "YOU BI*** - F*** YOU" We had NEVER heard anything like it from that bird before or after that.....
    !!!!! Wow....

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.