Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3302 of 4383 FirstFirst ... 2302 2802 3202 3252 3292 3301 3302 3303 3312 3352 3402 3802 4302 ... LastLast
Results 33,011 to 33,020 of 43830

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Charlee what is the date on this machine. It has some wear (scratches on the bed and the arm) that look like it may not be clear coated with shellac.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    1951 201-2
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Charlee take some alcohol on the back arm and see if it softens the finish if not then you have somethng else. If it does then we will proceed.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    It softens...can tell you that from what I've already done...and when it was flaking off, it was brown, like the old shellac would do...
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Blog Entries
    Ok Charlee continue this tech until all surface is the same and smooth and blended. Stay way from the decals your clear coat of shellac is very thin. After you do this then we need to apply shellac to protect everything. I can see spots like water spots on the arm. This is and indication the machine was stored in a very hot place at some time. Try if you can get the spots to go away by this melting and blending. It will look better when we apply the shellac.
    You may need to get some rest first.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    I will do that Skip...and I think I'm done for tonight...I really am tired....cranky...and a bit impatient. Not a good combination for something like this...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I will do that Skip...and I think I'm done for tonight...I really am tired....cranky...and a bit impatient. Not a good combination for something like this...

Good night, I am outa here to Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Laura, Please post pictures of the machine that you are working on.
    I'm interested in seeing your results too!

Glenn, you state that Charlee's machine doesn't look like it has shellac. How can we tell before hand on our machines? Or is it discovered after trial with the alcohol?

I have a Singer 9W that I was planning to give this a try. Also have a Davis NVF that would be my second machine to test. I'm wondering if the Davis machine's shellac will be different from the Singers. I need to know what to look for in the shellac since I'm not understand the difference.

Thanks!!!! Love the tutorial so far.

I've been following this. Thank you for the great information! I won't be trying this for a month or two, but I have a question. I have 2 very old sewing chairs with a dark brown finish that gets gummy and tacky in warm weather. I 'm guessing I can clean them up the same as a treadle cabinet. Is it shellac or varnish that gets sticky in humid weather?

Blog Entries
    Hey Monica...did you happen to notice that Skip's showin' off his "drawers" AGAIN??