Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Misseva, how do you attach the ends together? Just tie it? This is a great idea....and I want to try it. The belt on my 15 is slipping way too much...it's older and kinda slick.
Yes. First I clip a clothes pin on one end & lay it across the hole on the back side to keep it from slipping down while I thread the hose around the wheel, then grab both ends, pull it up over the top wheel and pull hard as I can to stretch and tie a knot and keeping the tension on the knot - tie it again really hard. Then I just clip off the excess. I'm at work now and it's church night so I'll try real hard to get a pix when I get home. May be tomorrow before I can post.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:50 AM

I went hunting for one of my old panty hose to try out in treadle, only to find that I don't own any. In winter, I wear pants, and when weather turns warm enough to wear dresses or skirts, I don't wear panty hose since I hate the feel of them.

I'll have to purchase a pair to test. I'm now curious.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Not a close up of the tubing but you can see it working here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu-0...e_gdata_player

This is my 306w and it is my treadle pitman link making the terrble clunking noise. The camera was sitting on the table and makes it sound LOUD.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
I will second that the Aquarium tubing Works well, I have it on my 306w in a treadle stand. does not stretch much, but better than that it is "grippy" and i can run it loose enough to lift my machine slightly to get the bobbin plate off, and it does not slip. I was going to use oxygen tubing ( left over from my father's medical issues) but what I have is "ribbed" on the inside and i could not find a good connector. for the aquarium tubing I just snipped off an inch of tubing then slit the small piece length wise and rolled it up tightly and inserted it inside the two ends of the belt.
I just switched the spring coil belt with the aquarium tubing. I used your method of connecting them. That just took a bit of work to roll tightly enough to insert into the ends of belt, but it holds very well! Thanks!! Much easier than sewing the ends together.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:33 PM

Moistened it a bit, slides together much easier/farther. Hope it holds up and works well for you!

Hmm I might have slit the tube an extra time (removed a small bit, to make it roll easier too)
Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM

Howdy! Does anyone happen to own a New Royal treadle machine? I am interested in one and seem to not be searching correctly. I can't find out very much about it, except for locating machines that are for sale. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Dang it! It followed me home....how does that happen? Mizkaki, when you get moved and settled, and I figure out what I need, we need to talk about cams for this one! I have 9 or 10...just need the rest of the set....and it's missing the pin tucker too....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]332428[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_6615-800x600-.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 PM

Cool, cool!

(wonder how those things 'know' who to following home)
Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM

Hey Charlee, did your machine have a friend that you may have sent my way??? Look what followed me home today:> It's a 1956ish Supermatic, with a bunch of cams in great cosmetic condition. But, as usual with these the drive pulley is bad and I'll have to replace it. And learn how in the process!
Attached Thumbnails img_7639.jpg  

Last edited by Candace; 05-02-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=Charlee;5188784]Dang it! It followed me home....how does that happen?

Oh Miss Charlee, I thought WE were on the 12-step program? Hm? Hm? I won't mention that I just made a phone call about a CL and I'm waiting a pic with the bonnet off the top of the machine. (Chuckle, "It's just black and has paint. Just like a Singer. Too old, it's just for looking pretty. Doesn't work".) Picture sure looked pretty 'nuf. Can't wait to see the real deal.

We're not too good at this self-control stuff :-)

Lovely machine you got yourself there girl. Enjoy.

best,
d