Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 PM

PBobbin13 aka Barb,

Yes, I did remember seeing the patent date on the cabinet, but I didn't remember the date. Okay, I had some time to check the date which is Aug 6 1901.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:51 PM

have never seen a treadle enclosed in a cabinet before.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/fuo/3158686826.html

That is so nice, I'm tempted to fly there to get it...from NJ. I'd go for it NO Questions Asked...!!!!!!!

Last edited by DanofNJ; 07-23-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
Well, I woke up smelled the coffee after reading about all the singer machine comparisons, and decided to get all mine out. It had never occurred to me that the slant attachments for the 404, which I have the full set, including the buttonholer, will work on the 301 that only came with the straight stitch foot on it, but for what I paid, that was ok. Somebody tell me if that is true or not.
You will have to test the attachments. I know the darning foot made for and came with the 401 doesn't work on the 301. And of course the 401 walking foot won't mesh with the 301 feed dogs.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 PM

I don't remember if mine feels rough or smooth. But, no, there's no green wire to match the 185 that I'm aware of. Similarly, there are no green bobbin winder rings or green belts available either.

Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
Just a quick question. Hope someone can help. I recently got a 185j which is a nice machine.

But:

Does the finish on others have a rougher feel or is it super smooth?
Does anyone know where I can get "green wiring" for a rewiring of the engine.

Thanks...Dan
Old 07-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I don't remember if mine feels rough or smooth. But, no, there's no green wire to match the 185 that I'm aware of. Similarly, there are no green bobbin winder rings or green belts available either.
nope - not unless you rob it off another machine - what's the point of that?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 AM

On the yahoo groups about vintage machines and fixing them, there was a discussion about colored wire. One person uses cords from other appliances from thrift stores from when they make colored wire ones, and another person talked about rebuilding radios and using a type of wire from that.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
On the yahoo groups about vintage machines and fixing them, there was a discussion about colored wire. One person uses cords from other appliances from thrift stores from when they make colored wire ones, and another person talked about rebuilding radios and using a type of wire from that.

The problem with that is some appliance wire will be a heavier gauge than the wire needed for a sewing machine. Which means it won't fit easily or at all in foot controls or in tight spots. And old, appliance wiring is as good as old sewing machine wire. And to go to the trouble of rewiring a machine with old wiring sort of defeats the purpose, IMO.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
The problem with that is some appliance wire will be a heavier gauge than the wire needed for a sewing machine. Which means it won't fit easily or at all in foot controls or in tight spots. And old, appliance wiring is as good as old sewing machine wire. And to go to the trouble of rewiring a machine with old wiring sort of defeats the purpose, IMO.
I would agree
Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 AM

I've seen dark green lamp cord before...probably on ebay. Not the same color but, it would look nicer than black or brown...as long as the greens don't clash. And dark green extension cords too...in all different gauges.

There is a website that sells vintage looking wire also. Just google vintage electrical parts...I think that's how I found it.

A cord from an old appliance isn't a bad idea at all, in my opinion. I wouldn't have a problem using it as long as it was supple with no cracks or stickiness. Most old sewing machine wiring had rubber insulation & rubber deteriorates. A lot of appliance wiring that's a little newer has vinyl insulation that lasts MUCH longer. I know I've got extension cords & small appliances with cords from 1965 (year I got married) that are still in perfect condition...just depends on what they're insulated with.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 AM

Christmas tree lights come in various greens so you can hide them in the trees. You might raid the light sets for wires.

Joe