Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3823 of 4380 FirstFirst ... 2823 3323 3723 3773 3813 3822 3823 3824 3833 3873 3923 4323 ... LastLast
Results 38,221 to 38,230 of 43792

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Anamaria,

The 101 was Singers first potted motor. It was very expensive and wasn't their best seller. The motor wasn't as strong as the later 201 and 15-91 potted motors were. I have one and it is a very nice sewer and a cute machine.

The motor at this age will most likely need to be lubed and possibly rewired. The instruction manual gives directions on how to remove the motor for servicing. There is a set of beveled gears in side of the machine that will need grease and can only be accessed by removing the motor, not too terribly difficult. I can help you if needed.

Cathy
    Ditto. I love my 101. I am piecing quilt blocks on her this morning. When I purchased my machine, the electrical wires had been cut to remove the machine head from the cabinet. So I took her to my OSMG to be fixed and serviced. Having the 101 manual is a must. It does recommend that the motor be greased/lubricated at least once a year. The manual gives very detailed instructions on how to do it.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Time just seems to fly by! Totally off the topic of sewing machines. For those of you who live up in the Northern CA area. I didn't realize that there are farms in the Vacaville, area. I have seen Alpacas before up in Woodland.
    I am going to go visit this ranch today. The Alpacas are so very cute. I am into crochet, and love the alpaca yarn.
    http://www.sweetalpacas.com/farm_day!.htm
    Love alpaca yarn for crocheting as well. Currently working with a prickly wool/mohair yarn which I hope will be okay with the receipient. When I am finished with current crochet obligations, I want to find some alpaca yarn for a project for me.
    Chris
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Love alpaca yarn for crocheting as well. Currently working with a prickly wool/mohair yarn which I hope will be okay with the receipient. When I am finished with current crochet obligations, I want to find some alpaca yarn for a project for me.
    Chris
    I have used the Misty Alpaca yarn, I really liked the feel of it. I would love to see a picture of your crochet. They were spinning yarn, with a foot powered spinning wheel, treadle type. Very interesting!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Grayhare , Yes .and yes , the motor seams to be a good strong one it will sew through very thick quilt, it sews through 3 layers of jeans easy like butter I had no problem.. the bottom of machine needs to be oiled often to keep the little pans with oil for the wicking parts when you put the machine down in the cabnet the oil leaks out , I just leave mine up and ready . Dottie Bug

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie Bug View Post
    Grayhare , Yes .and yes , the motor seams to be a good strong one it will sew through very thick quilt, it sews through 3 layers of jeans easy like butter I had no problem.. the bottom of machine needs to be oiled often to keep the little pans with oil for the wicking parts when you put the machine down in the cabnet the oil leaks out , I just leave mine up and ready . Dottie Bug
    Thank you, for that information on the oil leaking out. Good tip.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    I have used the Misty Alpaca yarn, I really liked the feel of it. I would love to see a picture of your crochet. They were spinning yarn, with a foot powered spinning wheel, treadle type. Very interesting!!
    That's a cute face! Thanks for posting the link to the Alpaca farm. I spent some time reading about Alpacas, very interesting. I like their story on how they came to owning the farm-sweet.

ooh I'm practically giddy! I'm picking up this beauty tomorrow!!!
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/3303122712.html

Blog Entries
    I picked this machine up last spring - we'll call her Perty Face. It was a good thing I have a donor machine to snatch parts off. My Dorthy Donor machine has given so many parts to so many machines I can't thank DD enough!!! So far I haven't needed the exact same part - strange but true. This time PF needed the part the cord plugs into. It was a simple matter but I was so relieved when it worked. Then, I started cleaning the machine. I wish I could give PF DD's body - at this point the DD has way too many parts missing and it would be massive headache - besides I can't remember what all has been taken off DD... Ok so I got PF sorta cleaned up and came to the tension. One look told me there were issues with PF's tension. I pulled it off and here is what I found:
    Name:  perty face Singer 500 006.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  129.7 KB
    for those of you who have never opened up a tension - there were essential parts missing.
    Thanks to DD PF now has a working tension. Hurray for donor machines.
    Last edited by miriam; 09-30-2012 at 06:23 AM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Oh and here is the finished transplant:
    Name:  perty face Singer 500 013.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  142.3 KB
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    I do believe that machine was kept in the garage, shed or as Muv says (giggle) the outhouse...
    She has plenty of ugly but now that she is working she sews great:
    Name:  perty face Singer 500 033.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  127.8 KB