Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3891 of 4389 FirstFirst ... 2891 3391 3791 3841 3881 3890 3891 3892 3901 3941 3991 ... LastLast
Results 38,901 to 38,910 of 43882

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Steve,

I found a chart I made years ago of working space measurements. They are all home machines except the 31-20.

MACHINE.......... NEEDLE TO ARM
    MODEL...............MEASUREMENT
    Singers
    31-20 10 ”

403 etc 7 1/8”
    15-90 etc 6 7/8”
    201 8”
    66 8”
    306 etc 7 7/8”
    301 7 ”
    99 6 ”
    128 6 3/8”
    221 5 1/16”

Other Mfg
    White Rotary 8 1/8”

MW URR284 7 3/8”

Wheeler & Wilson 8 7 3/8”
    Mizkaki,

Thanks for this information, I saved it for reference. Just a question, from where on the needle to where on the arm was the measurements taken? I've got a few I want to measure and add to your list so I want to measure them the same way you did.

Joe

Steve,

I found a chart I made years ago of working space measurements. They are all home machines except the 31-20.
    <snip>
    Great reference. I just took a couple of other measurements using what looks to be the same technique (at least I got the same values for the 201, 66 and Whites):
    Singer 13 7 7/8"
    Singer 27 8"
    Husqvarna 33-10 8 1/8"
    New Home Model A1 7 5/8"
    New Home Model A3 7 7/8"
    New Home Model U (New National) 6 1/2"
    Last edited by pinkCastleDH; 10-27-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Clarity

Joe,

I laid a ruler on the bed, butting the end against the arm on the right. I lowered the needle and took between the measurement where the needle hit the ruler. I did round it off a little if the needle hit between the 1/8 " marks.
    Post any measurements that you get so I can add to the list.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Mizkaki,

Thanks for this information, I saved it for reference. Just a question, from where on the needle to where on the arm was the measurements taken? I've got a few I want to measure and add to your list so I want to measure them the same way you did.

Joe
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Thanks for these new measurements. I'll add them to my list.
    Two questions first. Is the Viking 33-190 the old heavy, green one or the newer one? Is your Singer 13 the larger version of the Singer 12? If so, the working space should be much larger. Or I am confused as to what the 13 is.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
    Great reference. I just took a couple of other measurements using what looks to be the same technique (at least I got the same values for the 201, 66 and Whites):
    Singer 13 7 7/8"
    Singer 27 8"
    Husqvarna 33-10 8 1/8"
    New Home Model A1 7 5/8"
    New Home Model A3 7 7/8"
    New Home Model U (New National) 6 1/2"
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    I have an old long bobbin machine - seems like a nice space - I should measure it - it's the biggest one I've seen other than industrial. Any idea what model? It has a motor attached to the back of the machine.
    Name:  old long bobbin sewing machine 006.JPG
Views: 574
Size:  129.9 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Cathy - The Viking is the old, heavy, green thing with the Godzilla finish (and that only ways slightly less than the Tokyo Terror.) The 13 is indeed the 'Medium' machine - slightly larger version of the 12. I just double checked the measurement and you could call it 8" but nothing more. I don't know what the measurement for a 12 is. Just for grins I measured the 48k and it's 6 1/2".

Thanks for these new measurements. I'll add them to my list.
    Two questions first. Is the Viking 33-190 the old heavy, green one or the newer one? Is your Singer 13 the larger version of the Singer 12? If so, the working space should be much larger. Or I am confused as to what the 13 is.

Cathy
    Oh, and it's no great surprise that the 101 is also 8".

Mirim,

I believe that your machine is a 127.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I have an old long bobbin machine - seems like a nice space - I should measure it - it's the biggest one I've seen other than industrial. Any idea what model? It has a motor attached to the back of the machine.
    Name:  old long bobbin sewing machine 006.JPG
Views: 574
Size:  129.9 KB
    Cathy

To those who don't hoard fabric.......this won't make any sense. To those who do hoard...no explanation is necessary.
    Stumbled across this stash at my favorite thrift store. Over 20 yards of batiks for less than $1.50 a yard. SCORE!
    Sure would like to see what the donor kept, since this is the cull.

Cathy Attachment 372655
    You know, no one ever says to a painter "gee you've got a lot of tubes of paint. why don't you just buy one color when you need it?" Likewise woodworkere, scrap bookers, mixed media people- they all have a stock of materials. I hearby declare that it is not a hoard, it's a PALATE and we need it to keep out creativity jucy. Wicked good score, by the way. Now you have to start sewing it up! Laura

I'm really surprised that the Singer Medium has such a small working space when the machine is so large. I have a Bradbury Medium which is almost the same. So I just went and took the measurement on it and it's working space is only 7 7/8" ( I would have lost that bet).
    I dug out my Singer 12 and it's measurement is 6 1/8".

Anyone else have a machine we haven't listed?

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
    Cathy - The Viking is the old, heavy, green thing with the Godzilla finish (and that only ways slightly less than the Tokyo Terror.) The 13 is indeed the 'Medium' machine - slightly larger version of the 12. I just double checked the measurement and you could call it 8" but nothing more. I don't know what the measurement for a 12 is. Just for grins I measured the 48k and it's 6 1/2".
    Cathy