Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4006 of 4413 FirstFirst ... 3006 3506 3906 3956 3996 4005 4006 4007 4016 4056 4106 ... LastLast
Results 40,051 to 40,060 of 44122

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Oh, and this machine, the Alto, is controlled by the use of hands pushing down on the base, area by the foot and needle, for speed of sewing. I love her comment as to how so many folks just get lost by threading a machine, which is why she design this with a very simple threading path to the needle. I don't have difficultly following a path for threading, but I do understand this statement since many of my vintage machines thread so differently from each other.

I'm off to my other projects. Hope all is well for everyone. Enjoy!
    Last edited by vintagemotif; 01-08-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Oh, and this machine, the Alto, is controlled by the use of hands pushing down on the base, area by the foot and needle, for speed of sewing. I love her comment as to how so many folks just get lost by threading a machine, which is why she design this with a very simple threading path to the needle. I don't have difficultly following a path for threading, but I do understand this statement since many of my vintage machines thread so differently from each other.

I'm off to my other projects. Hope all is well for everyone. Enjoy!
    no info where to see one... how much they cost etc.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy Jeann View Post
    It may not be the purdiest machine around..
    Tammy Jeann, I like your machine and I think she is plenty purdy! I am one of the minorities that likes a black crinkle machine. I look forward to seeing the "after" pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    no info where to see one... how much they cost etc.
    Miriam,

Here's a thread from the Artisans Square forum about it. Has a pic and some links too.
    { http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.p...c,19406.0.html }

Joe

THANKS Joe... now I have ANOTHER machine to look for(acquire)... a Freia.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DDR-Kult-Reisenahmaschine-FREIA-Bakelit-selten-DDR-sewing-machine-rare-/300840132649?pt=DDR_Ostalgie&hash=item460b782029#h t_1062wt_132
    Last edited by SteveH; 01-08-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    THANKS Joe... now I have ANOTHER machine to look for(acquire)... a Freia.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DDR-Kult-Reisenahmaschine-FREIA-Bakelit-selten-DDR-sewing-machine-rare-/300840132649?pt=DDR_Ostalgie&hash=item460b782029#h t_1062wt_132
    similar to Elna
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Hi Nancy. You are right. I put it in the cabinet last night and I think it looks fantastic.
    Attachment 386609
    It fits in the opening, the hinges line up and it clears the drawer and sides but I think that the feet cast into the bottom of the machine prevent it from going all of the way down into the cabinet opening, thus preventing the top from closing. HOWEVER, if the motor was removed (not needed) and the block of wood that is screwed to the inside of the lid were to be removed, it WILL FIT and close properly.
    As to the poor old 66, the old gal has seen better days and the cabinet is worthy of a nicer machine. The bed has been repainted, decals are mostly gone as is the Singer name. The chrome is bad on the entire machine. Including the faceplate, back plate, and footplate. The slide is missing too. I think she might be a parts machine or a repaint project.
    Attachment 386611
    I do have a question about the 66 head though. I read that the Singer machines made before 1901 did not have the motor lug cast into it. And all of them from 1903 and on, all have them cast into them. This machine was made in 1910 (serial # G340707) and does not have the motor lug cast into it. Can anyone help answer that?
    Thanks.
    ~G~
    Grant I agree the Morse looks great in that Singer cabinet! Now lets see how you like treadling it? I don't even think about my Singer 319w being a treadle machine anymore - it just seems so natural to treadle that machine even when doing decorative stitches. I like the Morse, its a pretty machine. I had one exactly like yours I sold last summer. But, if I were going to take out the 66, I'd put something in the cabinet that did more than a straight stitch? I don't agree that the 66 is a parts machine. I have a Davis with no decals left and I love her! I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Well here is my Jones "treadle!" I swear we had a long conversation before Christmas about this "treadle" cabinet with a pristine Jones sewing machine! Well, as you can see theName:  JonesHC2nd.JPG
Views: 1175
Size:  1.67 MB person who had this machine has no idea what a treadle is! Meet the twin to my first HC Jones machine!Name:  Jonestwins.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  1.26 MB I am actually glad the Jones turned out to be another HC and not a treadle! I don't have room for another treadle! Oh and Muv, my bad! I still haven't fixed the tension on the first machine, which is pretty obvious with them side by side!

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 01-08-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Wow.....just wow....... (turning green)

Nancy, I never heard of a Jones machine until I read about them on this board. Your machines are just BEAUTIFUL! Their decals are fancy dancy. I will certainly buy one if I run across one at a decent price. Thanks for sharing.