Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4014 of 4416 FirstFirst ... 3014 3514 3914 3964 4004 4013 4014 4015 4024 4064 4114 ... LastLast
Results 40,131 to 40,140 of 44160

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I'm still too uncoordinated to treadle - give me a HC...
    I know
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Joe,

So when you piece your work, you back tack each item you are piecing? Wow! Even most folks using their modern e-machines don't do that. Instead, they just feed their blocks or strips through in a series, known as chain piecing.

Blog Entries
    I'm still too uncoordinated to treadle - give me a HC...
    Miriam, you always put a smile on our faces! Just practice! I never thought I'd be a treadler either - all I did when I first started was go back and forth and break thread! So frustrating! Now I don't even think about whether I am treadling or sewing with an electric machine. Same thing for me, except I am not as fast with the treadle!

As far as piecing with a treadle - I usually chain piece so no back tacking necessary. When I finish piecing and start to assemble the block I like to back tack. At that point I will switch to my 319w, or my 15-88 that has back tack. If I stay with the treadle without a back tack, I do what Misseva does, and just turn the stitch length to zero for 2 or 3 stitches! That is the way I put bindings on my quilts with Betty, my Davis Vertical Feed who does not back tack!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Ok I have never had a machine dropped on my porch like Steve just had, but I got a call from a guy who was given my name by someone I must of met at a sewing social. He wants me to take his wife's grandmother's Jone's treadle that has been in their family from the beginning. He says it is in pristine shape. He called me before Christmas. I am going to see the treadle today. I know I will probably bring it home! Is there no hope for us! I hope it is the one with the yellow rose, but I'd bed it is the same as my Jones HC because he said it says Jones CS! I will post photos later - if I get the machine!

Nancy

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have the cabinet that Jones is in...Now you've got me itching to go clean up my Jones HC and give her a whirl. If you ever come across a spare coffin top for one let me know. I don't have a top for mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Nancy, are you SURE.....?
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/fuo/3533351674.html

Glad to elicit a grin, not a groan or a grump.

Jenn,

PM me on this if you are actually interested. I may be interested in the head but not the cabinet, perhaps we could do a deal together on this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Miriam, you always put a smile on our faces! Just practice! I never thought I'd be a treadler either - all I did when I first started was go back and forth and break thread! So frustrating! Now I don't even think about whether I am treadling or sewing with an electric machine. Same thing for me, except I am not as fast with the treadle!

As far as piecing with a treadle - I usually chain piece so no back tacking necessary. When I finish piecing and start to assemble the block I like to back tack. At that point I will switch to my 319w, or my 15-88 that has back tack. If I stay with the treadle without a back tack, I do what Misseva does, and just turn the stitch length to zero for 2 or 3 stitches! That is the way I put bindings on my quilts with Betty, my Davis Vertical Feed who does not back tack!

Nancy
    I have an attachment that goes on the singer 66 that makes a reverse stitch. It's a bugger to put on but it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I know
    Skip
    You know I use a knee control on the electric when ever I can...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    You know I use a knee control on the electric when ever I can...
    Yes I know but the next time we get together I am going to teach you how to treadle. You can do it. Just don't wear those big boot shoes.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Yes I know but the next time we get together I am going to teach you how to treadle. You can do it. Just don't wear those big boot shoes.
    ok - I do have some Crox...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Hi! I'm goonberrie! newish to quilting period. I have discovered my husband's grandmother's old treadle in an old shed, and I use the term shed loosely. almost no protection to Montana's weather. do you know of any miracle workers in Montana? I would like to see about restoring it. please 'pm' me here. Thank you for any assistance.