Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
I have an attachment that goes on the singer 66 that makes a reverse stitch. It's a bugger to put on but it works.
Wow! I would LOVE to see a few photos of THAT....
Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
I have an attachment that goes on the singer 66 that makes a reverse stitch. It's a bugger to put on but it works.
I'd like to have one of those. I have two 66 treadles I could put it one.

Joe
Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Miriam, you always put a smile on our faces! Just practice! I never thought I'd be a treadler either - all I did when I first started was go back and forth and break thread! So frustrating! Now I don't even think about whether I am treadling or sewing with an electric machine. Same thing for me, except I am not as fast with the treadle!

As far as piecing with a treadle - I usually chain piece so no back tacking necessary. When I finish piecing and start to assemble the block I like to back tack. At that point I will switch to my 319w, or my 15-88 that has back tack. If I stay with the treadle without a back tack, I do what Misseva does, and just turn the stitch length to zero for 2 or 3 stitches! That is the way I put bindings on my quilts with Betty, my Davis Vertical Feed who does not back tack!

Nancy
Nancy, I remember back when you were first starting to treadle. You were frustrated then, and I talked you into just keep practicing. I can treadle fairly fast with my treadle, which is fast enough for me.

I do not even back tack when I assemble my blocks since I try to do them in a chain method if I can get away with it. When blocks get put into rows, then I may back tack if I remember to do so. Somehow my quilts all get assembled and quilted without even one back tack.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM

The you post the reverse stitch mechanism for the 66? I'd love to see it.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Nancy, I remember back when you were first starting to treadle. You were frustrated then, and I talked you into just keep practicing. I can treadle fairly fast with my treadle, which is fast enough for me.

I do not even back tack when I assemble my blocks since I try to do them in a chain method if I can get away with it. When blocks get put into rows, then I may back tack if I remember to do so. Somehow my quilts all get assembled and quilted without even one back tack.
I've only been treadling since about 2007 and have learned to treadle fairly quickly too. I do most of my sewing with the treadles. Dh and some of my quilty friends just don't get it. They think I'm a bit touched in the head.
Sharon
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Trish I think everyone's busy trying to keep their New Year's resolutions! I am busy trying to finish all my unfinished projects, then after swearing I would not start another quilt until I finish a couple that have been sitting around - I started another Mystery Quilt! But, in my defense, I got two quilts quilted, working on the 3rd one now! So I guess I am not completely breaking my New Year's resolution yet!

Nancy
Exactly why i haven't been here much.....I am determined to get caught up. But then I have also had a few distractions....he he
Attached Thumbnails aqua-kenmore.jpg   1949-trusew.jpg   brother-yellow.jpg  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
Exactly why i haven't been here much.....I am determined to get caught up. But then I have also had a few distractions....he he
Oh that yellow brother is so cute! I want a yellow machine!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
The you post the reverse stitch mechanism for the 66? I'd love to see it.
I'll get pictures as soon as I can. Calling for 4-8" of snow and machine is in a building away from house. Have to get prepaired incase power goes off.

Sharon, people think I am crazy too when I tell them I like to treadle. Then tell them how many machines we have and the look on there faces. Most of them call it a peddle machine or they move there hands up and down. Oh well each to there own.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 AM

Craftiladi, I like your machines and really like the blue Kenmore.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post

Yep, I was frustrated. My DH sat down and treadled our first treadle the day we unloaded it in the garage - a 27 with the Pheasant decals! I tried and just couldn't do it at all! But, thanks to you all, I kept trying! Now I treadle as fast as that pedal will go - which is still slower than an electric machine could go! I agree with Skip, to be accurate I don't need to sew pedal to the metal. A little slower is much more accurate! It is great exercise and it is very relaxing to sit and treadle! I have a lot of respect for those women who use to treadle all day - my legs ache after a couple hours of treadling!

I also chain stitch my blocks together, but I usually back tack each row beginning and end as they go together. I don't want the blocks to come apart when I stretch them on the long arm table. I only free motion my smaller projects, the queen/king sized quilts have to be rolled on a long arm, which is harder on your stitching. I also use a very small stitch per inch so no distortion happens to my blocks on the LA table.

Nancy