Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

When ever you buy a machine that has been stored expect to have to work on it then if it does work you can be pleasantly surprised. It is over priced for a machine that has been stored. If it has a treadle it is priced spot on.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:57 PM

I ended up purchasing it but for $40. It does need work...lots of work...as far as I can see it works but it hasnt been well kept, it needs to be cleaned and lubed. I cant completely test it because apparently it doesn't take regular bobbins...needs a smaller one.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by biancasdalton View Post
Hello everyone I am new to this community and a brand new quilter. Im in the process of finishing my first lap quilt.
I have made this quilt with a Kenmore sears machine (http://www.etsy.com/listing/10928622...g-machine-with) I love my machine and only paid $25 for it. I love it so much that much I sold my newer basic singer because it just didn't cut it, it game me too much trouble.
Anyway I have 2 older machines as well that I purchased one of them is a singer 560 Diana and I paid $50 for it but it came with the original and an amazing table for it and in very good condition...anyways I sold the table (which I regret) due to lack of space and now my Diana wont work the same it has a tension problem that I just cant fix (http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xht...g_sing560.html) my other machine is a White 764 http://mivintagesewingmachines.blogs...white-764.html and I have not been able to use it either. First one of the tension pieces was broken so I got a new one and replaced it but something was off and when I tried to pull it out I messed up the spring, stretched it and now its nou usable. I plan to get them fixed eventually but my question is that with all this old machines there is something that can go wrong and may need some repair sooner than later. I am interested on another oldie and I just love it. Its a Singer 66 and it comes with the table and stool, seem in pretty rough condition but the machine supposedly works fine except that the tension may need adjustment ..go figure lol anyhow I really want this machine and my question is....is it really worth $50 or should I try to get it for less? The person selling it has never used it. She had the machine in storage and it belonged to her mom.

I have tried to start a topic but I cant Im guessing because In new to the site, this is my second attempt at posting this...hopefully Im posting on the correct place. Thanks.
You will need to fetch a manual for yourself. This one covers very basic older machines. BUT the info you need for tensions will apply. There may be a schematic for the tension in your owner's manual. You should be able to buy a new tension spring on line. You will need to refer to the manual in order to get one put in or take it to a service shop.
Here is a link to the basic service manual: http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/ There is a lot of info on this board. You may have some luck with the search feature at the top right on this page.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

I picked up a nice machine the other day.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]404385[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-66-lotus-019.jpg  
Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]404386[/ATTACH]
I still need to clean it up. I did shoot some oil in there and pulled out a ton of lint. I sat and treadled for a bit - made me sore. I think I will need to do some more and build up some muscles. It has a full set of attachments and an original manual in excellent condition.
Attached Thumbnails singer-66-lotus-001.jpg  
Old 03-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

It even has the key to the cabinet! Yes it is back clamps.
It was made in 1924. DH is shocked. He asked how much I was going to sell it for... I said SELL IT???? He likes it too.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I picked up a nice machine the other day.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]404385[/ATTACH]
Miriam; Very nice. I have a similar machine only as a handcrank and you hit the jackpot on the accessories. Are those needle packets on the right side of the 2nd picture? If so, haven't seen in packets like that before. I am on the fence as to what to do with mine. It is one I acquired because I thought I needed one now I am unsure.
Chris
Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

I sure didn't NEED this I WANTED it though. Yeah those are needle packets. This machine came from England. The people were living there and brought it home. They were down sizing a little. I know it was used some - the bobbin area was caked with lint. This machine has not had any clean up other than getting out some lint.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I sure didn't NEED this I WANTED it though. Yeah those are needle packets. This machine came from England. The people were living there and brought it home. They were down sizing a little. I know it was used some - the bobbin area was caked with lint. This machine has not had any clean up other than getting out some lint.
Like those needle packets. I wanted mine too but now I'm not so sure. Sitting on the fence re your machines truly sucks.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:33 PM

My organ needles that I ordered off ebay came in packets like that in a box. I really like them as they have foil inside and only 10 needles to a pack. Really reasonably priced also.