Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-02-2013, 01:49 PM

Nancy, I saw some packs of needles in the CL ad. Did you get those and they are not the right ones?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Those 'darn' spring things work great - I have one similar.
Cathy and Miriam- Thanks! The hole in the rubber end is fairly large- but I will turn it over and see if it makes more sense in that direction. Laura
Old 02-02-2013, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
Steve you find some of the best "accidents" to come home to live with you. Maybe I should just give you my wish list and see what you can find. I would so love to have one of those Howe machines, if only for display.

I have to put my sewing machine collection on hold for a while though. We sadly had to put down one of our horses this week, and we were so not prepared for that, as he was only 2. Between what it cost for a vet to come out, put him to sleep, then pay another company to come and get him, I'll be eating little more than ramen noodles at our house for awhile. Several hundred dollars we did not have laying around.
So sorry to hear about your horse! How awful for you. My sympathies. Laura
Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM

Nancy,

Try those needles I gave you a few weeks ago. German machines of that era frequently take an equivalent to a round shank DBx1.

cathy

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Yes, Judy I need the serial number. I only have dates for machines from 1978 back.

I got the Adler treadle listed on Craigslist today! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/3577363926.html

Now my problem is, I don't know what model this treadle is and I have no idea what needle it uses? I pulled up ISMACS needle site, but I still have no idea about needles. It looks like this machine takes something other than a normal 15x1 needle! Darn! I don't have a problem with that, except I need to know what needles to be on the look out for! The pitman on this machine is wood, which tells me this is probably a pre 1900 machine. It is pretty cool looking with back clamping feet and a bobbin like a Wheeler and Wilson's. The machine is complete as far as I can tell - I just need to get some needles! Anyone have an Adler treadle like mine?

Nancy
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 PM

Thanks Nancy ,, the pfaff page didn't work out guess the model # is to new will contact a dealer for help , it is computerised I think the model # is 2022 life style its made in the czech republic. germany.Thank you DottieBug
Old 02-03-2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Nancy, I saw some packs of needles in the CL ad. Did you get those and they are not the right ones?
Judy, yes there is a pack of needles and a twin needle that came with the machine. I never put a needle in a vintage machine until I am sure those needles are the right ones for the machine. People will go buy a pack of Schmetz needles thinking all machines use those needles only to mess up the timing or something else when they try to actually sew with the machine. I am always cautious with a very old machine. It is still dark here. I put the cabinet in my sewing machine storage museum cargo unit outside. I just brought the machine in the house so I can clean and oil it, but I am pretty sure the needles in the cabinet are Schmetz and won't work with this machine.

Nancy
Old 02-03-2013, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

Try those needles I gave you a few weeks ago. German machines of that era frequently take an equivalent to a round shank DBx1.

cathy
Cathy, I will try the needles you gave me! If those needles work, I want to buy more! I want to use this treadle! I am going to get the cabinet all cleaned up and bring it in the house. This machine drops its feed dogs and has a reverse!

I looked at the bobbin winder and the problem with it is that before the tire contacts the HW it hits the thumb screw that is part of the stitch regulator. I will try adjusting the bobbin winder - move it out slightly, but if I can't fix it I will bring it to you! It doesn't appear to be bent? The bobbin winder tire is shot, though, I am not even sure it is the correct tire for this machine. I don't have a tire in the size this machine takes - it is a fairly large tire? Getting that part may be a problem?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-03-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug View Post
Thanks Nancy ,, the pfaff page didn't work out guess the model # is to new will contact a dealer for help , it is computerised I think the model # is 2022 life style its made in the czech republic. germany.Thank you DottieBug
Dottie, I thought as much. Your machine is pretty new. I'd say the 90's or even early 2000's. Pfaff didn't join the merge until the mid to late 2000's. At least you have a machine that is still a real Pfaff!

Nancy
Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 AM

I am so bummed out today. I went to my local quilt store for our monthly Girls Night Out last night only to learn that the store would be closed starting today to prepare for their final 'going out of business' sale. None of us knew this was coming - had no idea! It really put a damper on the festivities last night - everyone was really upset! We love this shop! I have taken tons of classes and enjoyed this shop for the last 5 years! It is so sad to see it go! I guess on a positive note, I won't be spending as much money on fabric, etc., in the future!

Nancy
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM

Nancy,

I'm pretty sure I have a BW tire to fit.

Cathy

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Cathy, I will try the needles you gave me! If those needles work, I want to buy more! I want to use this treadle! I am going to get the cabinet all cleaned up and bring it in the house. This machine drops its feed dogs and has a reverse!

I looked at the bobbin winder and the problem with it is that before the tire contacts the HW it hits the thumb screw that is part of the stitch regulator. I will try adjusting the bobbin winder - move it out slightly, but if I can't fix it I will bring it to you! It doesn't appear to be bent? The bobbin winder tire is shot, though, I am not even sure it is the correct tire for this machine. I don't have a tire in the size this machine takes - it is a fairly large tire? Getting that part may be a problem?

Nancy