Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4190 of 4401 FirstFirst ... 3190 3690 4090 4140 4180 4189 4190 4191 4200 4240 4290 ... LastLast
Results 41,891 to 41,900 of 44004

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Well, I fell off the wagon today and bought a Signature from probably the 60's. I walked into a Thrift store and there is was in a nice carry out case. The machine is in great shape, doesn't appear to have been used much at all. No tell tale scratches. I cleaned and oiled her. I am now piecing together a cheater panel and borders for a quilt to put in a camper we just bought so I can go horse camping with the grandkids and friends. I have always avoided the Signature, and Kenmore machines. Today in a weak moment, it was only $20 - I just couldn't pass this one up. I have to admit I am impressed with this machine. It only has 1 cam, it zig zags, has a button hole knob, drops its feed dogs - which, at the present time are stuck up, and it sews really nice - smooth and quiet! Now, I want to find some more cams and see what all this machine can do. Oh and Cathy, it was made by the 'Happy" company. I think I remember you talking about that a while back?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Well, I fell off the wagon today and bought a Signature from probably the 60's. I walked into a Thrift store and there is was in a nice carry out case. The machine is in great shape, doesn't appear to have been used much at all. No tell tale scratches. I cleaned and oiled her. I am now piecing together a cheater panel and borders for a quilt to put in a camper we just bought so I can go horse camping with the grandkids and friends. I have always avoided the Signature, and Kenmore machines. Today in a weak moment, it was only $20 - I just couldn't pass this one up. I have to admit I am impressed with this machine. It only has 1 cam, it zig zags, has a button hole knob, drops its feed dogs - which, at the present time are stuck up, and it sews really nice - smooth and quiet! Now, I want to find some more cams and see what all this machine can do. Oh and Cathy, it was made by the 'Happy" company. I think I remember you talking about that a while back?

Nancy
    Nancy, I wonder if I have it's twin! I have a MW made by Happy I got on auction - it only has one cam - zz - it seems like it is metal. You can get the feed dog thing to move - T-F the bejeebers out of the thing under there and then let it have time out. More T-F and time out.... Maybe some heat if you get desperate... Mine seems to be a very nice machine, too - kinda heavy. I'll try to shoot it some time.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Nancy,

Let me see a few pictures of the one cam that you have. I can probably match it.
    Yes, I do have a beautiful MW ZZ by Happy Sewing Machine Co. in my universal treadle.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post

Nancy
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    I was thinking it would treadle. I think some of those MW machines are pretty nice machines.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Mine is one smooth machine. Easy conversion. Just took the motor off and used the original hand wheel.
    Here's a picture. The bright white knob on the top is a window crank knob from the hardware store. It is replacing the button hole pot metal knob that was disintegrating.
    Name:  2013-06-29 19.04.26.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  97.2 KB

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I was thinking it would treadle. I think some of those MW machines are pretty nice machines.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Mine is one smooth machine. Easy conversion. Just took the motor off and used the original hand wheel.
    Here's a picture. The bright white knob on the top is a window crank knob from the hardware store. It is replacing the button hole pot metal knob that was disintegrating.
    Name:  2013-06-29 19.04.26.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  97.2 KB

Cathy
    Ours don't match.
    I wonder what kind of knob would substitute on a missing Singer 401 piggy nose knob???

Probably only one from a donor.

Cathy

Ours don't match.
    I wonder what kind of knob would substitute on a missing Singer 401 piggy nose knob???
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Probably only one from a donor.

Cathy
    hard to find - those don't die easily

I might have a donor machine. I'll check when I have the energy to go into the hot garage. The temp was 105 or more today. The lungs aren't dealing with that well this week. PM me so I have a reminder.

Cathy

hard to find - those don't die easily
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    I might have a donor machine. I'll check when I have the energy to go into the hot garage. The temp was 105 or more today. The lungs aren't dealing with that well this week. PM me so I have a reminder.

Cathy
    Actually you might be hearing from my sister - she needs one. She reads here but she seldom posts. I may just send her your email. I'm not sure she's done PMs. The sm has set this long - what is a week or two. I've had my share of bronchitis - leaves you weak for a while. I hope those high powered drugs help. Then you have to fix your body some more after the drugs.... I had the bronchitis right before I found out I was expecting my daughter. I had high power drugs, etc, when DH found me on the floor so sick. Then the OB told me to abort my DD. She is 31 YO. She seems to have all her parts... but there have been times....