Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-07-2014, 08:28 AM

Nice, I have also added this to my book
Skip
Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Noted in my book! Thanks for sharing
Yes Steve, I though that you would be able to use this idea, as well as several others. It is almost a wipe on wipe off process. It really saved me a lot of time and materials. Just keep the RA away from painted stuff.
~G~
Old 02-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Yes Steve, I though that you would be able to use this idea, as well as several others. It is almost a wipe on wipe off process. It really saved me a lot of time and materials. Just keep the RA away from painted stuff.
~G~
Ssssooooooooooo what do YOU use on nicotine painted surfaces????????
Old 02-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Ssssooooooooooo what do YOU use on nicotine painted surfaces????????
Usually car wax, but it depends on the machine.
~G~
Old 02-09-2014, 09:28 AM

Do you know where I can get both a shuttle and bobbins for a Winselmann Titan hand crank? Thanks for any help.

tnsue
Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 AM

I scrubbed a faceplate with a nail brush and some bath and body works hand soap and it cleaned up just like that. I didn't use it on anything else but ohlala, what a difference it made.
I try to avoid stuff that needs "proper ventilation" on the first go around.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I have a machine with HEAVY nicotine - I'm thinking the DGKs will get to clean that one. I don't think car wax will be quite enough to take that stuff off. It is the worst I think I've seen yet.... I tried to take a picture but there is no picture of smell... and you really can't tell since I think the machine might be nicotine color to begin with. It is possible that there is a white machine under there... Maybe oxi cleaner will take it off. It also looks like someone tried to wipe it off with something and failed - very smeary. I'm 10 ft away and I can smell it. I'm thankful it is in a plastic case.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 AM

So much good advice on this thread. I am the proud owner of a really pretty 15 series clone treadle. She has already been cleaned and oiled and runs nice and smooth sounding...well, once I got the treadle going! My problem is the black base and treadle pedal ...its not rusty but sure needs a good cleaning...what can I use that won't hurt her. Her name is Lily Hazel! Thank you all for sharing your experience and knowledge!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have a machine with HEAVY nicotine - I'm thinking the DGKs will get to clean that one. I don't think car wax will be quite enough to take that stuff off. It is the worst I think I've seen yet.... I tried to take a picture but there is no picture of smell... and you really can't tell since I think the machine might be nicotine color to begin with. It is possible that there is a white machine under there... Maybe oxi cleaner will take it off. It also looks like someone tried to wipe it off with something and failed - very smeary. I'm 10 ft away and I can smell it. I'm thankful it is in a plastic case.
I have had bad nicotine machines before and when you start cleaning them, they smell worse and it gets on your hands. But after it is clean the smell is gone. Pretty stubborn and nasty stuff though. I have had good results with the wax Miriam. An French made Singer comes to mind. It just takes some elbow grease.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461533[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461535[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails front-b-.jpg   back-b-.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings View Post
So much good advice on this thread. I am the proud owner of a really pretty 15 series clone treadle. She has already been cleaned and oiled and runs nice and smooth sounding...well, once I got the treadle going! My problem is the black base and treadle pedal ...its not rusty but sure needs a good cleaning...what can I use that won't hurt her. Her name is Lily Hazel! Thank you all for sharing your experience and knowledge!
I like the results I have gotten by just wiping down the irons with sewing machine oil.
~G~