Vintage singer 128

Old 12-29-2014, 03:44 PM

Default Vintage singer 128

I have a vintage 128 with a knee bar. The cord is in very poor condition, does anyone know where I could get a replacement cord?
Old 12-29-2014, 04:33 PM

Fred Sanford on this Board, or [email protected] may be able to help you.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

Does it have a spoked hand wheel? If so you might put a hand crank on it.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Does it have a spoked hand wheel? If so you might put a hand crank on it.
That would be my first choice! I have a 128 I want to hand crank....but it seems impossible to find a vintage crank and I hear nothing but negatives about the ones coming from China...I am way too OCD to put up with those, ugh.
Crystal I think you could also easily buy the wiring, etc at your local big box hardware and follow Rain's tutorial on rewiring. You can google it....
Old 12-30-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by crystal lee View Post
I have a vintage 128 with a knee bar. The cord is in very poor condition, does anyone know where I could get a replacement cord?
Crystal,

Rewiring a sewing machine is relatively easy. I've done a bunch of them. You can generally get the cord you need at most hardware, lighting or electrical supply stores.
Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ } sells it. I'll bet your machine should use the 18-2 SPT-2 cord.
Also there are some companies that specialize in reproduction fabric covered cord. You can find that at
Sundial Wiring { http://www.sundialwire.com/sundialwi...veredwire.aspx }.

Basically you just carefully remove the old wire, cut the new wire to length and put it in exactly as the old wire came out.

Depending on how your machine is wired, Sew-Classic may have a replacement cord set for it.

I don't know why the fascination some have with converting every machine they see to hand crank. It's OK I guess, but it sure don't beat a good electric motor.

Joe
Old 12-30-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
That would be my first choice! I have a 128 I want to hand crank....but it seems impossible to find a vintage crank and I hear nothing but negatives about the ones coming from China...I am way too OCD to put up with those, ugh.
Crystal I think you could also easily buy the wiring, etc at your local big box hardware and follow Rain's tutorial on rewiring. You can google it....
Cogito,

I picked up a 127 a couple years ago with a Chinese repro HC on it. I put the HC on my 99K, Rusty. It needed cleaned internally and greased. Once that was done it worked just fine. And as I've used it it has smoothed out significantly.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504141[/ATTACH]
Considering how rarium and expensive the original vintage HCs are, the Chinese ones do make sense.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5662.jpg  
Old 12-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I don't know why the fascination some have with converting every machine they see to hand crank. It's OK I guess, but it sure don't beat a good electric motor.

Joe
With all due love and respect, I'm one of those folks, and I feel that a handcrank beats a motor machine any day!

Electric power is just a fad, it'll never catch on....
Old 12-30-2014, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
With all due love and respect, I'm one of those folks, and I feel that a handcrank beats a motor machine any day!

Electric power is just a fad, it'll never catch on....
Yeah I know. They said that about that new white smokeless powder too.

Joe
Old 12-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Banned

Yeah I know. They said that about that new white smokeless powder too.
Joe
Exactly!! Now you get it.. hehe
Old 12-30-2014, 11:43 AM

Crystal,

Also there are some companies that specialize in reproduction fabric covered cord. You can find that at
Sundial Wiring { http://www.sundialwire.com/sundialwi...veredwire.aspx }.

Joe
Thanks Joe! I wasn't aware of the repro cording. I will have to look at that. And hahaha! You gave me a good laugh. I can see your point and I completely agree....motorized machines certainly can't be beat for their speed and ease. You might not have seen an earlier post of mine.....I have 4 Singer 128's....two Godzilla and two La Vencedora. I now have 5 treadle, innumerable motorized and not one hand crank! So.....I just want one. Lol....Pretty please?