Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What have I bought now!? Bernina? >

What have I bought now!? Bernina?

What have I bought now!? Bernina?

Old 01-06-2016, 12:09 PM

Beautiful machine.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:59 AM

What a beauty, Lucky you, enjoy it! I have a Bernina 930 that I purchased new in 1985 and wouldn't trade it for anything. I love mine and it still sews like a dream. I love your cabinet. What a treasure you have. I've never been so lucky to find antiques where I live, guess there weren't many older folks that sewed, or their machines were passed down to families and they have hung on to them. There aren't lots of folks here who sew anyway.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:15 AM

Very interesting - I didn't know Berninas have been around that long. I saw a green singer at a local junk/treasure store yesterday but don't know much about the green machines - has $20 on it....?
Old 01-07-2016, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
...but don't know much about the green machines - has $20 on it....?
Hard to go by color alone, but the metal bodied two tone green would be an absolute bargain at $20, I'm thinking of the 319 (swing needle zigzag). Model 185 comes in a green version, a very nice 3/4 size straight stitcher (for all practical purposes it's a 99). Both of these are all metal. The 1960s models 337 and 338 are nice sturdy machines, and are reported to be all metal by bloggers on the web; and comes in green ;- )

There is a rare version of model 15 in a mint green, well worth even as a fix up machine for $20. Model 15 is in plenty, but the late green version is few and far between.

The only green machine people seem to hate is model 285. I don't know how universal this hate is; it's an all metal machine, but with an odd gear mechanism that makes it more prone to vibrations. If I came across it for $20 I probably would go for it, but mostly out of curiosity to see what it's all about. I know some have had this model since new and have grown fond of it. It needs to be place it on a rubber mat or have tick felt pads under the base to absorb vibrations and make it less noisy, it will be a must on higher speeds. All in all; a model hard to recommend when better ones are in plenty.

The old cast iron Berninas get my attention these days ;- ) Bernina made industrial machines before then entered the domestic marked, their first was introduced in the early 30s, after decades of innovative developments in industrial machines.

Last edited by Mickey2; 01-07-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:28 AM

Terrific find and it does look like it was well cared for.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:13 PM

Its a beautiful machine. Thank you for showing photos of your new beauty!
Sharon in Texas