Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What's the difference between Singer 301 & 301A? >

What's the difference between Singer 301 & 301A?

What's the difference between Singer 301 & 301A?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:32 PM

Not only is she a Jersey girl, but she was made during a 9 month period in 1951! I have the short bed version of that machine in a cabinet, and I love it :-)
Old 06-10-2011, 04:42 PM

I have the 301A, she's no beauty but boy does she ever hum stuns. Istumbled onto her for $75.00. I could not write the check fast enough. We are the best of friends now.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Aurora
I have the 301A, she's no beauty but boy does she ever hum stuns. Istumbled onto her for $75.00. I could not write the check fast enough. We are the best of friends now.
Aurora what a great deal you got! She's well worth that and more! They're true gems!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by DesiG
Not only is she a Jersey girl, but she was made during a 9 month period in 1951! I have the short bed version of that machine in a cabinet, and I love it :-)
DesiG, do you have a crystal ball or what?! How did you know all that! You are good! I can't wait until I get her home!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 06-11-2011, 12:50 AM

I now know she was a deal, but at the time I was only working part time and it seemed like a small fortune after I had blown $200 on a new Singer to learn to quilt. Since then I have bought another 301A for a backup, think I paid $140 on eBay for her but still a good deal because after that the prices started climbing. Just love my vintage machines. They are alot like me. Not much to look at, but strong where it counts. Yet they are a work of art, a reminder of good times when quality was important.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:30 AM

You can look up the serial numbers on these too! And one of the really nice ladies here helped. That machine is why I joined this board :-)
You got a great deal!
Old 06-11-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by DesiG
You can look up the serial numbers on these too! And one of the really nice ladies here helped. That machine is why I joined this board :-)
You got a great deal!
DesiG thanks! I'l like to know how to look up the serial numbers as well...that's pretty cool!
I'm getting a bit concerned as the seller still hasn't contacted me with their address, etc... I paid for it right after the auction. I did send my emails just directly to him and perhaps they've wound up in his spam filter. So this morning I sent another mail through ebay instead, I hope he answers that one so I can get my plans in order.
I think I did do very well on the machine considering how high they are going for now. I plan to actually use the machine and not decorate with her, so her scratches, dings, etc don't bother me.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 06-11-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora
I now know she was a deal, but at the time I was only working part time and it seemed like a small fortune after I had blown $200 on a new Singer to learn to quilt. Since then I have bought another 301A for a backup, think I paid $140 on eBay for her but still a good deal because after that the prices started climbing. Just love my vintage machines. They are alot like me. Not much to look at, but strong where it counts. Yet they are a work of art, a reminder of good times when quality was important.
Aurora, times are tight for me as well and have been for over 2 years now...recession/Great Depression 2, had hit me hard. I work 2 jobs now, the first is my profession, freelance real estate paralegal , the 2nd is a retail job - full time at that one and I consider myself blessed to have gotten that job. I'll be going part time with the retail job now- I can't take the long hours anymore. I wish America would make the machines once again, quality was important. I guess that's why the old machines are still fetching big $$$.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 PM

Is there an update?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Power Poster

I think she is gorgeous. My mocah 301 is my favorite. You'll love her.