Wheeler Wilson treadle...?

Old 01-22-2015, 01:05 AM

This is a much better read on eh WW history

http://www.sewalot.com/wheeler%20&%2...20machines.htm
Old 01-22-2015, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the link, I did find that yesterday. I don't know why the link to the photos won't show for you--they still work for me, but I think I can attach some photos here.
Attached Thumbnails 42963558.jpg  
Old 01-22-2015, 06:29 AM

I could only post one photo. Let me try again.
Attached Thumbnails 42963561.jpg  
Old 01-22-2015, 06:30 AM

And the cabinet:
Attached Thumbnails 42963568.jpg  
Old 01-22-2015, 06:34 AM

Thank you, xxxxxx... These two site that you included are the only ones I found yesterday when searching.

Jon, I appreciate the info on the needles, and will have to see if the bobbin is in the machine. (I hope!) I told my brother to check, but he didn't have time to do so before the auction closed. I hope that I will be able to help him get this great old machine in sewing shape.

Any other tips or info will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 AM

My old Wheeler and Wilson Family #9 was a 127 or 128 type treadle. Best darn sewing machine ever and I let it go for a Jap. electric. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way, but I will never forget my W&W and mourn it's loss. I sewed all of my older childrens clothes on it until mid-high school age. It had every attatchment known and I used them all. The needles were a problem but an old Kresge's store had a large round tin with little door all aroun it and you found your machine, opened the little door and the round wooden tubes were there with two or three needles inside.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:59 AM

Sheri,

I have two of the Singer 9W-7's. They are mechanically identical to the W&W D9 so what I say for mine applies to yours as well.

Most of what I was going to say has been said, so I'll just embellish things a bit.

First the machine rotates opposite most other Singers. Nuther words the hand wheel rotates away from you rather than towards you. Makes no difference in actual sewing, just takes some getting used to.

Needles are a pain, the machine takes the 127x1 and they are difficult to find. Both my machines sew better with the 127x1s but will work OK with the MY1014s. You have to manually index the MY1014s because they are a round shank needle. They work because the shank is smaller than the 127s. The 15x1 will not work on an unaltered machine because the shank is larger than the 127.
If you know a good qualified machinist you can end the needle problem for ever. That requires removing the needle bar, taking off the needle clamp and removing the uber tinsy needle index screw. Then drill out the needle hole just deep enough for the 15x1 to seat in to the correct depth. After that the tiny index screw will have to be dressed down to fit the larger diameter of the 15x1, then reinstalled. Then simply reassemble the needle bar to the machine and adjust the needle timing as needed.
Doing it this way will allow you use the 127x1, MY1014 and 15x1 interchangeably.

Bobbins are a bigger pain. The bagel or donut bobbins are hard to find and cost a fortune. If your machine came with any, put them in a safe place with the machine and don't let any fingers other than yours near them.
eBay, and luck is about the only places I know of to find any.

The D9 / 9W-7's rotate very easy. They are a very simple design, but do like oil. So when you get it clean, keep it oiled.

Do your best to not let it spin backwards. They will break the thread, and can break needles if that happens.

That's a nice machine, once you get up and running I'll bet you end up loving it.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 01-22-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:15 AM

Thats all WW. has the fancy lid hinges, and the buttons on the lid and cabinet top. if I remember right it turns away from you, but has a stop on the flywheel so you can't pedal the wrong way.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:08 PM

Thanks so much, Joe, for the additional info. My brother just picked up the WW Treadle, and it has paperwork of some sort with it, (perhaps the manual,) one needle still in it, and he found a sack in a drawer with some accessories in it. He didn't know what those are, but I am hoping there is a bobbin or two in there. I feel sure there must be at least one bobbin in the machine itself, because I could see in a photo that there is thread coming up from below the slide plate. I am so excited!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:17 PM

I really love my Wheeler and Wilson D9. One thing I didn't see anyone mention is the way it threads. I would never have gotten mine going without help from kind QuiltingBoard members. The thread wraps a full circle all the way around the tension assembly, not just a loop partway around like most machines. I had trouble with the stop that keeps it from turning the wrong way and found that it's easy to flip up out of the way. I love the way it sews - it's so determined. I always think of The Little Engine That Could. I found a manual online - let me know if you need a copy. One of the presser feet that came with mine has a glass center, so you can see what you're sewing - very cool!