Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Where Do I Start to Clean This Bernina Record 830 I Found Today? >

Where Do I Start to Clean This Bernina Record 830 I Found Today?

Where Do I Start to Clean This Bernina Record 830 I Found Today?

Old 06-12-2016, 10:16 PM

I have my Mother's and if I could figure out how to post, I would send oiling diagram that I have. The dealer gave Mother a copy with oiling points marked because the manual wasn't exactly complete. I love this machine! DH bought me the Bernina Artista 630E for anniversary several years ago, but I keep this old workhorse set up for back-up! You will love it!
Old 06-13-2016, 05:43 PM

I would have the technician check the motor brushes also. I have an 818 and 817 that are of the same age as your 830, they got new motor brushes and now the run like new machines.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:16 PM

I have an old 830 and I wouldn't trade it in for anything. It just won't stop. I made my daughter's wedding dress on it and I have repaired leather straps on my sandals with it. See if you can get a manual for it. It will help. I've sewed huge sails for a sail boat, a horse blanket on it. Get it cleaned up and you will enjoy it. I understand that there was a flood at the factory and you can't get new parts for it, but usually the dealer has some extras from trade-ins. Also, you can get parts or at least feet for it on the internet. I have a 440 QE and I love the new features that it has, but it seems that whenever I decide to go on a retreat, it has problems and I end up taking the 830.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:16 PM

Thank you for all this good information, everyone! A friend's mother died, and she offered to give me her Bernina machine. It was purchased in the 1970s, was top of the line at the time, so I'm thinking it's an 830. It was last used about six years ago, so the advice about oiling and/or having it serviced are very helpful.

I currently have a fancy computerized machine, but would love to have a workhorse/backup available.