White Automatic Zig Zag

Old 02-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Default White Automatic Zig Zag

I am a new member to QB with a recent big passion for vintage machines. ♥ My birthday is right around the corner and hubby has agreed to let me scout around some and see what looks fun to me! We're headed out tomorrow to check out some things I've seen on Craigslist but oooohh so many wonderful machines and so little time to see them all!

One I have found that looks interesting is a White brand machine, although the machine itself is green. It's a Zig-zag Automatic. Does anyone have this machine? Good reviews? Bad? Things to look for?

Here is a picture of one on eBay showing the type of machine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Whit...-/171251259741
Old 02-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Banned

I know next to nothing about machines made after WWI so I'll leave it to the Vintage folks to help and just say Welcome!
Old 02-28-2014, 03:32 PM

Welcome to the board!

I like the looks of that one. I've never seen a green White like that just usually blue ones. But as you might find out pretty quickly, it's hard to only buy one.

One thing to watch for with the zig zag machines is a lot have left homing needles. If you plan on doing piece work they can cause issues because you only get use of one feed dog.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:37 PM

Thank you! That's good advice and something to check on! Mental note: look for a left homing needle. I noticed the model number on the machine I am looking at is a 651...gotta do more research!

Thank you both for the input and the welcome.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:03 PM
KLO

I don't know anything about that machine either but I think I would try to take some thread and scrap fabric to try it out. Maybe if you could find out what size need it takes (and even a bobbin size), you could carry one of those with you too if you happen to have one or both. It's nice to know if the machine works so that you sort of know what you are getting into and whether it's worth it.

But mostly, welcome to the QB. This section is definitely the AA of sewing machines except that we don't get "well", we just find more machines to buy ..... but that does make us happy so no problem!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:39 PM

I am not finding much information on this machine. I e-mailed the seller this morning asking what they have for it. It looks like it uses cams. I have a short list of things to take with me if I get to go see it. Scrap fabric and thread top that list!

I'm the meantime of course I am looking at other beauties.

Crossing my fingers I hear back tonight. It's such a cool looking sewing machine!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

It looks like a very sturdy old machine. It would be a workhorse.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:11 PM

It looks like I will be able to see it tomorrow, so we shall see! It does look sturdy LOL! I bet it weighs quite a bit!
Old 03-01-2014, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
It looks like I will be able to see it tomorrow, so we shall see! It does look sturdy LOL! I bet it weighs quite a bit!
Well, you don't want one that will walk off your table do you???
Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 AM

One thing we tend to forget when the trend is toward lighter things is that for machinery weight is good. The extra mass helps dampen noise and vibration. I forget the technical details but cast iron is especially good at dampening vibration.
I play with old woodworking machines too. When it comes to cast iron on wood and metal working machines it's "The More the Merrier". If you ever get a chance to compare an old cast iron topped table saw to one of the new plastic marvels the difference is obvious. I would expect the same to be true for sewing machines, just on a smaller scale.
Rodney